Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question on having an "Ace"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question on having an "Ace"

Postby RJCarrot » Wed May 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Ok, many people are telling me that I need to have an "Ace" for my team. This is my first year playing and while I understand that having a player that has proven himself time and time again as well as being reliable is a good thing.

My question is, what advantage does having an "Ace" have over a lower man on the pitching totem pole, if the lower man is doing well...

From what I have seen, they dont seem to pitch any more than the other guys because they rotate...

So if you have a guy thats 5th in the rotation pitching the lights out and your "Ace" isnt... is there an advantage?

I understand this question has probably come up every year and the Aces pull ahead while the people who start off the season fold. But if someone were to take the big risk of not using an Ace and just playing with say... A deck of Jacks and Kings....

What disadvandge do they have.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby pokerplaya » Wed May 11, 2005 5:18 pm

I wouldn't want to have a staff of Garland's and Dontrelle's. However, having a staff of number two guys you can find in the mid rounds doesn't bother me in the least. Guys like Beckett, Burnett and Halladay can be found in the 5th-7th rounds and that's usually where I like to grab my first pitcher.

To each his own, I suppose, but while I think you can get by with spending a 5th round pick on your ace, I don't think you can get by with late round suprises like Garland and Dontrelle, as they won't be this dominant the whole year.

Atleast I don't think so....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 11, 2005 5:23 pm

Having an "ace" sucks. Last year I had Prior, and this year I have Schmidt. Yes, I've learned my lesson. Next year, it's all hitters for the first 3 rounds.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby loophole21 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:33 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Having an "ace" sucks. Last year I had Prior, and this year I have Schmidt. Yes, I've learned my lesson. Next year, it's all hitters for the first 3 rounds.

Having and "ace" does not suck. Having a guy who underperforms sucks.

Having an Ace is comforting and very benefecial, however it is not necessary to win. If you have a staff of 5-6 number 2 or 3 SPs then you are fine.
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Question on having an "Ace"

Postby The Jury » Wed May 11, 2005 5:59 pm

RJCarrot wrote:Ok, many people are telling me that I need to have an "Ace" for my team. This is my first year playing and while I understand that having a player that has proven himself time and time again as well as being reliable is a good thing.

My question is, what advantage does having an "Ace" have over a lower man on the pitching totem pole, if the lower man is doing well...

From what I have seen, they dont seem to pitch any more than the other guys because they rotate...

So if you have a guy thats 5th in the rotation pitching the lights out and your "Ace" isnt... is there an advantage?

I understand this question has probably come up every year and the Aces pull ahead while the people who start off the season fold. But if someone were to take the big risk of not using an Ace and just playing with say... A deck of Jacks and Kings....

What disadvandge do they have.

The advantage you have with an ace is that you know he'll have a terrific stat line at the end of the season. You don't designate an ace for your team, so you acquire one via trade or draft. What you get from an ace is reliability (yearly, not from one start to the next necessarily). Keep in mind, there are only a handful of pitching aces in baseball - there is a fine line between aces and very good pitchers.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed May 11, 2005 6:02 pm

I think one of the advantages of having an ace (or several of them), is that I can spend fewer of my roster spots on SP, giving me more flexibility on offense. With multiple aces, I feel like I can start them against 3/4 or more of the teams with a good outcome still likely. With a number 4 or 5 starter, I feel I need to spot them more often against weaker teams or pitching parks. That generally means I end up using more roster spots on pitching, and that hamstrings me on getting the right offense out there.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed May 11, 2005 6:05 pm

An ace is nice if you can get one without spending a high round pick on one (which rarely happens.) And every year, multiple Aces emerge...like Peavy last year. I think wasting an early round pick (1-3) on an ace is...well, a waste. Look at all the aces that are sucking or hurt this year. Oswalt, Schmidt, RJ, Sheets, Ol Perez...etc. Now look at how many 2nd tier guys and worse are performing like aces: Willis, Hampton :-t , Myers, Beckett, Buehrle etc....

Pitching is so volatile and unpredictable....it isn't worth high round pix! Just one man's opinion.... :-]
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RJCarrot » Wed May 11, 2005 6:06 pm

Couldnt you get the same effect out of taking a handfull of mediocre pitchers and switching them each week to play the best bets.

Dont get me wrong, I know I wont get top stats on them, but if you can pick a team to hold top stats on batting and can stay in the 5-10 range on the other stats, you could win just the same right?
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby The Punisher » Wed May 11, 2005 6:39 pm

I dont believe you necessarily need an ace for your pitching staff to perform well. I dont really have a top ace, I guess you could consider Peavy an average ace(but we are not talkin about rating now are we lol :-b ) but I think my pitching staff is one of the best in my league and I have guys like Harden, Bonderman, Burnett, Buerhle, Escobar, and Bedard and none of those guys are aces. I would much rather have a team of 3 number 2 guys and 3 number 3 guys than a team of 1 number 1 guy 1 number 2 guy and 4 number 4 guys
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -63)

Postby Pedantic » Wed May 11, 2005 6:41 pm

The Punisher wrote:I dont believe you necessarily need an ace for your pitching staff to perform well. I dont really have a top ace, I guess you could consider Peavy an average ace(but we are not talkin about rating now are we lol :-b ) but I think my pitching staff is one of the best in my league and I have guys like Harden, Bonderman, Burnett, Buerhle, Escobar, and Bedard and none of those guys are aces. I would much rather have a team of 3 number 2 guys and 3 number 3 guys than a team of 1 number 1 guy 1 number 2 guy and 4 number 4 guys

Burnett is an ace if you ask me.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers