Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question on having an "Ace"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed May 11, 2005 6:43 pm

Pedantic wrote:
The Punisher wrote:I dont believe you necessarily need an ace for your pitching staff to perform well. I dont really have a top ace, I guess you could consider Peavy an average ace(but we are not talkin about rating now are we lol :-b ) but I think my pitching staff is one of the best in my league and I have guys like Harden, Bonderman, Burnett, Buerhle, Escobar, and Bedard and none of those guys are aces. I would much rather have a team of 3 number 2 guys and 3 number 3 guys than a team of 1 number 1 guy 1 number 2 guy and 4 number 4 guys

Burnett is an ace if you ask me.

Sshhhhh...don't tell anybody!

;-D
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 11, 2005 7:15 pm

so people who have their hitting "ace" like beltran, helton, thome, chavez, delgado beltre haven't been disappiointed or flamed out in varying degrees?

I personally agree that never a pitcher in round one again. But after that -- why not? I don't comepletely buy that it is some inordinate risk as compared to others.

I mean it seems to me that we bat around the same names every year when it comes to pitching for the most part. New names enter the fray like johan and prior and next year peavey will enter the pantheon. But come on, players of both persuasions get hurt.

You don't absoloutely, positively need an ace though. I think you are better going 1-5 above average than you are 2 aces, three scrubs. the scrubs can actively undo the good work of the ace.

and when you get that magical year, there is no stopping you.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby LouisC9999 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:21 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:An ace is nice if you can get one without spending a high round pick on one (which rarely happens.) And every year, multiple Aces emerge...like Peavy last year. I think wasting an early round pick (1-3) on an ace is...well, a waste. Look at all the aces that are sucking or hurt this year. Oswalt, Schmidt, RJ, Sheets, Ol Perez...etc. Now look at how many 2nd tier guys and worse are performing like aces: Willis, Hampton :-t , Myers, Beckett, Buehrle etc....

Pitching is so volatile and unpredictable....it isn't worth high round pix! Just one man's opinion.... :-]

This one owner in my league drafted in order:

A-Rod
Randy Johnson
Schmidt
Sheets

At first glance, I'm thinking "He's automatically wrapped up wins, ERA, and Ks. Not a bad draft strategy..."

Nowadays, he's trying to unload RJ for some hitting power.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby waterproof » Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm

The Punisher wrote:I dont believe you necessarily need an ace for your pitching staff to perform well. I dont really have a top ace, I guess you could consider Peavy an average ace(but we are not talkin about rating now are we lol :-b ) but I think my pitching staff is one of the best in my league and I have guys like Harden, Bonderman, Burnett, Buerhle, Escobar, and Bedard and none of those guys are aces. I would much rather have a team of 3 number 2 guys and 3 number 3 guys than a team of 1 number 1 guy 1 number 2 guy and 4 number 4 guys

Harden is my Ace ;-)

I drafted nothing but bats for the first 10 rounds (ended up trading for Harden). It's working out well so far. I'm currently 4th place in a 12 time league (H2H 5x5) AND I'm winning every pitching category so far this week. ;-D
Last edited by waterproof on Wed May 11, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 11, 2005 7:25 pm

An ace is someone you could start all the time without any hesitation even if it's bad matchup or bad field(coors). For me, it's Hudson and Halladay. Aces usually have more wins than normal pitchers, better ERA, more Ks, and better whip.

Does that answer your question? :-b
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby RynMan » Wed May 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Burnett is an ace if you ask me.

I agree Pedantic.
I have Burnett and Harden as my top 2 in every league, and then also have Vazquez and Penny in most leagues as well. I had Pedro aswell in one but I mean you dont NEED an ace.....its just your staff overall needs to be satisfactory.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed May 11, 2005 7:42 pm

I get that all the time. I usually just laugh about it. I seriously think people try to say that so I'll overpay for a stud SP and they can take over first...
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby reznorsboy » Wed May 11, 2005 7:46 pm

I thnk an Ace is valuable in a h2H league as one good outing a week can mean the difference in pitching categories.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Postby waterproof » Wed May 11, 2005 8:03 pm

reznorsboy wrote:I thnk an Ace is valuable in a h2H league as one good outing a week can mean the difference in pitching categories.

I agree... I have Harden, Penny, and a few others that I play every week, but having the flexability to pick up decent two start pitchers is what wins H2H leagues, IMO.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed May 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Heh, I'd rather get the bats and the pitching at the same time!

Convince everybody else that they don't need stud pitching then swoop in and get that staff that's one notch above the rest.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers