Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question on having an "Ace"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:38 pm

gws226 wrote:Im an ace horder :)

I have combos of RJ/ Pedro or Pedro/santanna in pretty much all my leagues. I used mid first rounders for Santana, late first rounders on RJ and llate second rounders/ early 3rds on pedro unless a top notch batter slipped too far down to avoid.

For me having an 'ace' on my roster always seems to have more of an impact throughout the season. Your pitchers play less often (once, maybe twice a week) so the impact of their start is more profound then the 8 batters you put in your lineup every night.

The need for an 'ace' is exlimified in the fact that pitcher matchups aren't always equal compared to batters in FB. Batters are pretty even during the FB week. (generally you and your opponent get a comparable amount of starts for each position) Pitchers, you have the leathal 1 week starter vs the 2..... and lots of fantasy playoff rounds have been lost simply because one team had more 2 start weekly pitchers vs. the other.

I've always seen this as a need to have a better staff..... maybe your oponent has 1 average starter putting up 5K's a game playing twice. Those 10Ks he puts up can often be offset with just one quality start from your ace.

people talk about getting burned with drafted pitchers high, well yes you can..... Anyone here scratching their heads over wondering why they cashed in their #1 & #2 on Chavez, Bonds, crawfords, Texieras, and Rolens?

Good pitching is just that much harder to find vs. Batters. In baseball, they always say you can bat your way into the playoffs but your not gonna win it all without pitching, I believe it holds true to an extent in FB.

In years past for me I found it much easier to find 100/30/100 outfielders with my 5th-7ths then it was to find 15-20game winners with 200+ks.

I don't think anyone anticipated this much of swing of #'s in pitchers favors with the steriod free baseball this year, so maybe it was best to refrain doing the mad grab for top notch pitchers next year.

I think the injury risk and loss of any player drafted in the first rounds in about the same.

i agree - i try to have at least 2 "aces" in every league i play in. this year, in one league i have johan, hudson, sheets, schilling and may be able to aquire RJ. i play roto format, and if im falling in the standings, an ace acts as a stopper - if i know i have johan and huddy (and hopefully sheets and schilling at some point) going sometime during the week, i can pretty much expect a very solid start which will stop the bleeding persay on my squad, whereas hitters seems to even out over the course of a season
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gws226 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:50 pm

wow.. hows your O after obtaining a staff like that? :)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby baseball6791 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:23 am

studly :-D 11 team league and my offense includes such studs as morneau, brian roberts, tejada, huff, dunn, miggy cabrera, crawford, blalock, konerko, d wright, renteria - ive got more of it than i know what to do with... to go along with johan, sheets, schilling, hudson, lidge and joe nathan. a great draft (8th overall pick if u can blieve it), some very saavy early season trades and waiver wire moves, and my fair share of luck ;-D and im not playing with noobs either... we've all been playing together for as long as the other, 2 or 3 years i think, so were on equal footing... although the cafe does give me an edge ;-) ;-D ;-D ;-D
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -100)

Postby baseballnewb » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 am

Harden is my Ace

I drafted nothing but bats for the first 10 rounds (ended up trading for Harden). It's working out well so far

If you got harden in the 11th round you are in a newbie league so of course you are ok without a pitcher until then.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants8307 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:32 am

baseballnewb wrote:
Harden is my Ace

I drafted nothing but bats for the first 10 rounds (ended up trading for Harden). It's working out well so far

If you got harden in the 11th round you are in a newbie league so of course you are ok without a pitcher until then.

He said he traded for harden. As far as drafting, I almost always go with the highest value. In one league I only picked one closer because I saw great value at other spots(Sexson in the 10th). You can always try to trade for needs afterwards.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby gws226 » Thu May 12, 2005 2:36 am

o yea preranking is key.... especially in the later rounds, but sometimes its a double edge sword, I had players still available in my top 25 after 4 or 5 rounds, and suddenly you find yourself grabbing high value players instead addressing team needs.

I drafted Krod right where i wanted, but Gagne & Dotel were still on the list.

For instance:
I had Krod @23
I had Gagne @ 35
Dotel @ 41

Drafted Gagne @36, Krod @60 and then what do you know? Dotel is there in the 9th..... I clearly had no need for 2 top and 1 uppertier closer, but how can I resist not drafting someone had pegged as a 4th round pick in the 9th?

Great high value move, but not neccasarily the best......

In the end I wouund up trading Krod for more starting pitching
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers