Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran Concern

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran Concern

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed May 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Is anyone else concerned about Beltran's lack of steals this year? Oh yeah, he'll put up his typical 100/25/100 .290, but it was his 35+ SB that made him a 1st round pick. I'm very concerned at this point about his lack of steals. If he doesn't steal, his fantasy value is that of 4/5th round pick not a 1st rounder.

Can someone please tell Randolph to let Carlos run? And no, I don't buy the Floyd/Piazza behind him arguement b/c he better bats behind him in Houston.

Can someone please explain his lack of steals to me?
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 11, 2005 4:11 pm

We just have to hope it's a temporary thing...but I'm beginning to think it isn't. This is the 2nd time I've been burned by a similar situation...last year, I drafted Soriano early, expecting him to continue stealing. I need to make a mental note to never draft a speedster in the 1st round. Especially not a speedster making a transition to a new team.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby matmat » Wed May 11, 2005 4:15 pm

slomo007 wrote:We just have to hope it's a temporary thing...but I'm beginning to think it isn't. This is the 2nd time I've been burned by a similar situation...last year, I drafted Soriano early, expecting him to continue stealing. I need to make a mental note to never draft a speedster in the 1st round.

i think the thought process should be not to draft a speedster that also has good power and is moving teams or might be moving down in the order to a more RBI oriented position.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Re: Beltran Concern

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 11, 2005 4:16 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Can someone please explain his lack of steals to me?

there are reasons, not good ones though.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 11, 2005 4:17 pm

matmat wrote:
slomo007 wrote:We just have to hope it's a temporary thing...but I'm beginning to think it isn't. This is the 2nd time I've been burned by a similar situation...last year, I drafted Soriano early, expecting him to continue stealing. I need to make a mental note to never draft a speedster in the 1st round.

i think the thought process should be not to draft a speedster that also has good power and is moving teams or might be moving down in the order to a more RBI oriented position.

Right, I editted my post to say a speedster switching teams. Beltran stole quite a bit out of the 3rd spot in Houston if I remember correctly...so I doubt batting order has much to do with it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed May 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Outside of Reyes, no one on that team is stealing like they could be. To me, it seems like Willie has the red light on. I've tempered my SB expectations for all Mets unless something changes.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Simulacrum » Wed May 11, 2005 4:36 pm

I just can't believe a guy who's stolen successfully as much as he has in the past is just going to give up stealing bases completely. I'm sure the Mets signed him for his speed as well as his bat.

His last steal- April 10th :-o

He's been caught stealing twice since then, most recently on May 1st. Maybe he's not completely comfortable at the new park yet and he'll start tearing up the basepaths once he acclimates a little more.

My prediction: one of these days he's going to steal 2-3 in a game, and they'll start to trickle in little by little after that.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed May 11, 2005 4:51 pm

That's what I WANT to believe as well. That one day he will explode like Pierre did this weekend (5/5 3SB and of course he was on my bench) and he'll be given the green light.

Then again, maybe he's not stealing b/c he's no longer [i]playing[/i] the Mets & Piazza. There's got to be someone just as bad as him at throwing out runners
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Sox Man » Wed May 11, 2005 5:08 pm

I think it is crazy that Floyd has 3 SBs and Beltran only has 1.
Sox Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: Beltran Concern

Postby rich101682 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Can someone please tell Randolph to let Carlos run?

Yes. Let me call him right now.

(Too bad the sarcasm meter blew up on another thread!

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers