Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran Concern

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu May 12, 2005 10:12 am

Top 20 OF maybe. He's a career 285 hitter, hitting in a pitcher friendly park, hit above 30HR only once in his career. 35 SB is generous too considering 1 SB so far this season. And to say the Mets picked him up for his defense when they had Cameron in CF, who is a fine defensive CF, is crazy as well. Do I love his consistency on my fantasy team? Yes. Was he worth the 1st round pick this year? We'll see. But only if his steals pick up.

Guys who I think will put up similar #'s to Beltran this year are Patterson & Bradley. (at least in the R, HR, RBI, SB categories)

Conclusion, Beltran is a great player, but not 1st round worthy.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Thu May 12, 2005 11:22 am

Beltran's steals are what made him worth his value in real life too. Speed, power, defense, he had it all. He's gotten his wings clipped in NY.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu May 12, 2005 11:36 am

What I don't understand is that Wille came from the Yankees - a team (unless I read them wrong) as giving the green light most of the time. ARod had a huge year SB-wise last year, more so than previous years. Jeter has always been a good SB source. Other players as well.

Now, Willie comes to the Mets and, instead of using a similar baserunning strategy that may/may not have helped the Yankees score so many runs in the last few years (yes, I know they've had a lot of offensive talent), it looks like he's going off on his own - almost as if to show he's not a clone of Torre - not that I'd think there'd be anything wrong with that based on the Yankees success in the regular season the last few years.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby josebach » Thu May 12, 2005 1:15 pm

The scariest thing about his numbers this year are his home splits.
In 59 ABs he's at .271/9/1/5/0.

He's also been thrown out 2 out of 3 steal attempts. It's possible Willie has pre-maturely lost confidence in his running ability. I doubt Willie is that stupid, but there's got to be some reason. The season is 1/5 of the way over already. I'm sure he'll get more than 5 stolen bases, but at this rate, I would say 15 is a pretty good guess.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TB13 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:20 pm

The truly bizzare thing is that the Mets could not stop running is ST. It seemed that Reyes would steal every time he was on base & Beltran was not far behind.
I think that Willie is withholding Beltran from running, being afraid to take the bat out of either Floyd's or Piazza's hands. However, then they do not have the player that they paid all that money for, now do they?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby slomo007 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:23 pm

josebach wrote:The scariest thing about his numbers this year are his home splits.
In 59 ABs he's at .271/9/1/5/0.

He's also been thrown out 2 out of 3 steal attempts. It's possible Willie has pre-maturely lost confidence in his running ability. I doubt Willie is that stupid, but there's got to be some reason. The season is 1/5 of the way over already. I'm sure he'll get more than 5 stolen bases, but at this rate, I would say 15 is a pretty good guess.

Both times he has been "caught steeling" have actually been pick offs. So technically, he hasn't really been caught stealing.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 12, 2005 1:45 pm

Has anyone read/heard anything from the NYC media on the subject? I'm sure they're all over this too.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers