Return to Baseball Leftovers

How safe is Miguel Batista's job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How safe is Miguel Batista's job?

Postby thrash » Wed May 11, 2005 4:08 pm

I have Dotel, B. J. Ryan and M. Batista as my closers and in our league you really only need 2 closers to fill the max games for RPs...I may be trading Dotel and have to rely on Batista.

Will he hold onto the job, and if so, will he be good? He doesn't K alot of guys, i've never seen him pitch. What's his stuff like? Can he be a solid option here on out?
GO SOX
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby revenge_of_the_cards » Wed May 11, 2005 4:18 pm

i live in toronto, he doesnt have a lot of control. but likely hell keep the job since all the other options are just as bad
revenge_of_the_cards
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed May 11, 2005 4:35 pm

His job is quite safe. There are no other feasible options, the best other bet is Jason Frasor and he failed in the closer role last year. They also went to all the trouble to convert him to relief this year, it wouldn't make sense to use him any bullpen role other than the closer spot, and the Jays are also pretty comfortable generally with the roles most of the guys throughout the bullpen have. Batista is a safer closer option than a LOT of guys on other teams right now.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed May 11, 2005 5:26 pm

yeah...batista's job is safe. ;-D and he's been doing a pretty good job at the closer role. he has cut down the number of pitches he throws and that seems to be working.

frasor has been doing a good job as the set up man. i really like him...i think he did well last year as the closer...yeah...he hit the wall towards the end of the season and couldn't buy an out...

batista is the man in toronto and he will be for a while, unless the jays fall out of contention early and someone else is interested in batista's services...and perhaps his contract.

and i don't understand how can a guy in toronto be a cards fan... :-b at least the cards will be in TO this year for interleague play.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby John Bonzo » Thu May 12, 2005 12:02 am

I think that the biggest threat to his job would be a severe need for a starting pitcher. Other than that, i think he is in fine shape to keep the job all year.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby rjforlife » Thu May 12, 2005 3:01 am

With the way closers are going this season (and most season anyways), a guy converting 8/9 saves and winning the game he blew is a really safe bet to keep the job all season. keep it up miguel!!!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Return to Baseball Leftovers