Return to Baseball Leftovers

if playing full time, who's better: utley or polanco?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

if playing full time, who's better: utley or polanco?

Postby Laean » Wed May 11, 2005 9:48 pm

i've read in SI.com that polanco doesn't want to stay with the phillies if they aren't going to play him full time, and also that both the cubs and the dodgers are interested in him.

it seems like a trade is inevitable, which is good news for me since i have utley. however, some people at the cafe have been saying that polanco will actually have more value if given full playing time. in my league polanco's a FA, so this makes me wonder if i'm holding on to the wrong player right now.

i thought it was pretty much given that utley had more upside. can the people who said polanco will actually have more value please explain their reasonings?
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DominicanLou » Wed May 11, 2005 10:00 pm

I would have to go with Utley. I really don't see how an argument can be made that Polanco will put up better fantasy stats.
DominicanLou
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -114)

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 11, 2005 10:00 pm

You are going to hear a lot of chatter about Utley being far better. He has more upside but also a shorter track record. But don't forget that his average is somewhat of a mirage. He has had the luxury of not facing lefties (which he can't hit) and his average reflects this.

Like you I have Utley and I will likely stick with him based in upside. I think you have to take some limited risks to win a league. But I don't share some of the wild optimism that other folks have.

.260-270/15-20/70ish, perhaps?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Wed May 11, 2005 10:01 pm

utley ;-D
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bselig » Wed May 11, 2005 11:26 pm

Utley can hit 25 jacks (potentially more, but wouldn't bank on it at all) per year. Polanco can likely hit for a better average and might steal some bases. I think if Polanco eventually gets moved to a better lineup he could potentially put up better fantasy stats than Utley, but personally I'd rather have Utley.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 11, 2005 11:33 pm

Strictly from a fantasy perspective Utley edges out Polanco all things being equal for the power. Overall though I've always liked Polanco. He will hit for a better average, steal more bags, and is a plus defender.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Octavian » Wed May 11, 2005 11:39 pm

Utley by a long shot, he's just young... by the time Chase has put in the time Polanco has, there will be no comparing them.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -13)

Postby TB13 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:21 am

This year is closer than it will be in the future. Utley will have more homers & RBI's. Polanco MAY have a better average.
Playing full time in that launching pad, Utley will crank 25 homers with no problem.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby biller24 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:47 am

Utley. Give him a year or two in the big leagues and his numbers will be much better than Polancos.
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers