Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tone in Seattle regarding Beltre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Sat May 28, 2005 8:50 pm

I love it when guys keep saying he will turn it around. We are a thyird of the way through the season and he would have to go on a wicked tear to even have a decent season at this point. Lets start to face it . He was a one year wonder. He topped out last year and came back to earth. Plain and simple . Yes he may be better then some other third baseman. But guys right now I would rather have Alex Gonzalez from TB on my team. At least I know what to expect.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat May 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Surfs up wrote:I love it when guys keep saying he will turn it around. We are a thyird of the way through the season and he would have to go on a wicked tear to even have a decent season at this point. Lets start to face it . He was a one year wonder. He topped out last year and came back to earth. Plain and simple . Yes he may be better then some other third baseman. But guys right now I would rather have Alex Gonzalez from TB on my team. At least I know what to expect.

I do think he will do better than he has been but he won't come close to 04. His plate discipline is horrible and he seems to swinging at a lot of bad pitches.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat May 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Surfs up wrote:I love it when guys keep saying he will turn it around. We are a thyird of the way through the season and he would have to go on a wicked tear to even have a decent season at this point. Lets start to face it .

Beltre hasn't hit 200 abs yet. He likely has 400 more. His pace isn't horrible. At his current pace he will have 80 runs and 80 rbis. As we speak, he's only 5 runs and 5 rbis from a 100 run and 100 rbi pace. He's hitting .239. If he hits .290 the rest of way, which is a long way from a wicked tear, he finishes at 274. The only number which might not get up there is hrs. But then he's only 3 hrs short of a 27 hr pace. 1 or 2 big weeks of 3 hrs 10 rbis, will get him on a 30 hr+ -110+ rbi pace. You guys panic too easy. So you think every guy struggling to this point won't get going? And the guys playing over their heads through 8 weeks won't come back to reality? Beltres not going to hit 40 hrs, but 275, 30 hrs, 110 rbis is within reach without a wicked tear.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Simulacrum » Sun May 29, 2005 9:02 am

Yahoo says the M's are thinking about dropping Beltre down to 5th in the batting order... maybe that will relieve some pressure for him. Or perhaps it'll cause him to suck even harder :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby jayman » Sun May 29, 2005 1:21 pm

amich1 wrote:I follow seattle sports closely. People there aren't giving up on beltre, they're giving up on the entire team. Long season ahead. General consensus seems to be that Beltre will produce, but only if others around him start to hit. This is a team problem, not a beltre problem. Beltre has not performed below the rest of the team (which frankly, is about impossible to do) like say a Jeter early last yr., so he has been spared some of the scorn. He doesn't have a disproportionate l.o.b. or anything like that which would indicate he is the source of their woes. He has been no great shakes, but the General consensus is that they fixed some problems while ignoring too many others (mainly catching, ss, oh yeah, and PITCHING). Seriously, counting on 42yr. old Moyer to anchor your staff is folly @ best, the 1-2 punch of Olivo/Wilson, behind the plate is knocking them dead, and there are guys playing college baseball right now who could produce better #'s @ s.s. Seattle media seems to recognize the reality of the situation, the mariners are going to lose alot, but it is not all on beltre's shoulders.

Thanks. This is the kind of reply i was looking for.

I am pretty much, like any Beltre owner, very disappointed to this point. I've stuck with him though. Playing him everyday, not jumping to the first hot CI/3B that I find.... well, till this morning anway - I grab Dallas and benched Beltre.

The M's do have Beltre for 5 years and not 8 weeks. But, I only have him for 1. So, I don't care if he hits 53454 HR in the last 4 years of his contract at this moment.

I was hoping the Seattle media would be lighting a fire under this guys butt. Every time a trade rumor came up in LA he'd pick it up. Some people need external motivation (be it positive or negative), some don't. I'm believe he's just waiting to bust out of it instead of actively trying to bust out of it. Not sure i'm making sense - my only relative analogy is - you can't get a date sitting on your butt at home, go out there and do something.

Whatever. I have Anotino Perez and Dallas McPherson now. Adiran has a spot on the bench.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Tokugawa » Sun May 29, 2005 1:28 pm

Can anyone really explain his production last year? It was just such a break out, way beyond anything he has done in the past and now he is back below where he usually is. I truly do not believe the contract-year stuff explains it or the hitting coach. You don't just pop 48 homers due to the fact you are trying harder or someone is telling you how to hit. I read something earlier in the season about something he took last year to deal with his foot problem, some sort of supposedly legal amphetamine of some sort, anyone know anything else about this?
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun May 29, 2005 2:19 pm

I was hoping the Seattle media would be lighting a fire under this guys butt.

The Seattle media doesn't do this. For 2 years of crappy Jeff Cirillo, the newspapers had articles about how hard he worked, the changes he made in his swing, etc. If you're hoping the media will jump on Beltre, you'll be waiting a long time.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby Ditka311 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 am

Secret Avatar wrote:I hope they're saying "get your head out of your @ss and stop swinging at junk." The dude's been stinking up my infield so far. Every time I think he's gonna bust out, he goes 0-4 or something. He's got the same quick, powerful swing as last year, but his eye is awful. Not only does that decrease his performance, pitchers now know he'll chase junk and will pitch accordingly. You know what? Forget about what they're saying in Seattle. I'll say it now myself: GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @SS ALREADY.

You can say this to Juan Uribe too.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue May 31, 2005 12:26 am

Tokugawa wrote:Can anyone really explain his production last year? It was just such a break out, way beyond anything he has done in the past and now he is back below where he usually is. I truly do not believe the contract-year stuff explains it or the hitting coach. You don't just pop 48 homers due to the fact you are trying harder or someone is telling you how to hit. I read something earlier in the season about something he took last year to deal with his foot problem, some sort of supposedly legal amphetamine of some sort, anyone know anything else about this?

The word in Los Angeles was that Beltre's injury forced him to stay back on the breaking ball low and away. That's always been his Achilles' heel, he can't hit the low and away breaking stuff.

The injury forced him to lay off those bad pitches, and he hit well. Now, with the injury fully healed, it would make sense that he's chasing the bad stuff again. I haven't seen many of Beltre's at-bats in Seattle, so I can't really comment on what's holding him back now. I can just offer speculation from his days as a Dodger. Of course, that's all it is: speculation. That's just what the Dodger brass was saying about his offensive "break out" last year.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby brandnew » Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 am

With that foot injury, too, it was so he kept his swing short and compact, and didn't stride so much, allowing him to keep himself in the box longer, keeping his head in there to get a longer look at the pitch.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers