Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sports talk radio and fantasy baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:05 am

thehat wrote:I'm quite convinced that baseball attracts an audience that is more affluent and more educated per capita, and that's an unbeatable demographic. I can't back this with documentation, but there's no question in my mind that it's true.

That's a nice way of saying that the average fantasy baseball player is smarter than the average fantasy football player.

I like it! ;-D :-D :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:37 am

And we are a very consistent demographic.

I've lost count of how many active cafe members have been registered for well over a year.
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby thehat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:46 am

Madison wrote:
thehat wrote:I'm quite convinced that baseball attracts an audience that is more affluent and more educated per capita, and that's an unbeatable demographic. I can't back this with documentation, but there's no question in my mind that it's true.

That's a nice way of saying that the average fantasy baseball player is smarter than the average fantasy football player.

There's a simple enough explanation. From a spectator standpoint, baseball is infinitely more cerebral than football. Baseball is the thinking man's game. Plus, it has a natural appeal for eggheads thanks to the fact that nearly all baseball discussions revolve in some way around numbers. That's why so many fans can quote you all kinds of stats of players past and present. Football? I'd wager that you could walk up to 10 fans at an NFL game, ask them a statistical question about their favorite player, and have a good shot at not garnering even one correct answer.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Danimal » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:20 pm

I agree with the above comment. Except, maybe in a tavern full of Packer fans.

;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:13 am

thehat wrote:
Madison wrote:

There's a simple enough explanation. From a spectator standpoint, baseball is infinitely more cerebral than football. Baseball is the thinking man's game. Plus, it has a natural appeal for eggheads thanks to the fact that nearly all baseball discussions revolve in some way around numbers. That's why so many fans can quote you all kinds of stats of players past and present. Football? I'd wager that you could walk up to 10 fans at an NFL game, ask them a statistical question about their favorite player, and have a good shot at not garnering even one correct answer.

Oh I'm definitely aware, and I agree with you Hat. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby agchris02 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:07 am

There are a TON more stats and variations to fantasy baseball than football -- but thats half the attractiveness of football. Its a game you can do with your buddies on the weekend, draft your team, maybe one or two trades, if you cant pay attention to the WW, you can survive.

In baseball you HAVE to pay attention to compete. (which is why i like it)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:13 pm

I would like to say that I think people are being a tad too rough on fotoball fans.

Maybe from a spectator standpoint, baseball is mroe cerebral, but then again from an overall standpoint, I don't think anyone can argue that football is wildly complicated from both a strategic and tactical standpoint. I think part of the problem is, it is complicated enough that it can be hard to discern what the coaches are really trying to do. a stupid play from a spectator standpoint isn't so dumb when you know what the coach is actually thinking.

I think baseball is cerebral, but I also think it is more accesible in someways as well. I mean there are tons of strategic concerns, but the average fan, let alone an egghead can actually discern what the point was.

in football the "stupid" trick play is sometimes meant to fail. it is only put in there to keep the defense guessing for future plays. but to the fan at home, it can seem dumb since it was unsuccessful.

as far as the fantasy aspects go -- football is WAY easier. The only things you need to know are: get your runningbacks, play the matchups, don't draft a TE or Defense too highly.

Baseball is awesome because the first couple of rounds of the draft have much more variation than football, you can apply more strategies and trading is more of a factor. as for the wire, yea, there is more overall "work" but the wire is important in football too.

different approaches really. but football really is more "plug and play" and I think the h 2 h format really serves football better than baseball, as everyone plays the same amount of games per week.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby max1889 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:33 pm

thehat wrote:
Madison wrote:

I totally agree. In fantasy football, you don't think that since Jamal Lewis has 604 rushing yards so far that the is doing a good job. The perception of the results seems to be game by game, like the average guy would think that since Lewis has had a couple 100 yard games and TDs that he is doing welll. In fantasy baseball, especially for the stats involving ratios, the perception is more encompassing. For example, the average fantasy baseball player thinks that Jason Varitek for been doing well since has has 11 HRs and batting around .315 so far this season. I hope my point makes sense to some of ya'll!
max1889
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers