Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ugie to Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Yoda wrote:
matthew18 wrote:"Farnsworth is terrible" ????

Yes, he has been in the past, but a 2.55 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 31K's in 24 innings is not terrible.

Don't let the low ERA and the K fool you. He has 21 blown saves in his career. Most Cubbie fans know what I'm talking about. He does NOT have a closer mentality.

Your right in that he does not have a closers mentality, atleast he didn't when he was with the Cubs. A change of scenery seems to have helped him though, maybe he can someday be a successful closer. I wouldn't count on it though.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
The Guru wrote:
No. Wagner will close and UU will setup.

There trying to win there division with a trade like this.

I understand Wagner/UU's CURRENT role, but this is Wagner's walk year. UU is an insurance policy for when they deal Wagner for a starter at the TD.

The bullpen was hardly what needed improvement most in Philly....

Trading Wagner for a starter? Please. Where did you pull that one?

You just called Farnsworth terrible and now you're questioning me? Take a look at Philly's roster and you tell me what needs improving. Certainly not the bullpen.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:39 pm

Yoda wrote:

Yes, he has been in the past, but a 2.55 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 31K's in 24 innings is not terrible.

Don't let the low ERA and the K fool you. He has 21 blown saves in his career. Most Cubbie fans know what I'm talking about. He does NOT have a closer mentality.
Players are capable of improvement. It's not a static world where you enter the league and leave with the same abilities. He clearly has great stuff, but he's had shaky command at times. Plus sometimes a change of scenery can do a player good. This very well could be the case with Farnsworth, we'll just have to see.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:40 pm

rmeesig wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
The Guru wrote:

I understand Wagner/UU's CURRENT role, but this is Wagner's walk year. UU is an insurance policy for when they deal Wagner for a starter at the TD.

You just called Farnsworth terrible and now you're questioning me? Take a look at Philly's roster and you tell me what needs improving. Certainly not the bullpen.

So your grand theory is to trade one of the best closers in the game in the middle of a playoff run? Brilliant.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:41 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Players are capable of improvement. It's not a static world where you enter the league and leave with the same abilities. He clearly has great stuff, but he's had shaky command at times. Plus sometimes a change of scenery can do a player good. This very well could be the case with Farnsworth, we'll just have to see.

True. He's been very good the last month. But it's only a month and we've seen him pitch like this before. Believe me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:42 pm

Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
The Guru wrote:

So your grand theory is to trade one of the best closers in the game in the middle of a playoff run? Brilliant.

Yeah, that's what I said.....obviously a one sided conversation..have fun!
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:44 pm

rmeesig wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
The Guru wrote:

Yeah, that's what I said.....obviously a one sided conversation..have fun!

Oh I will. It's just that I have NEVER seen a playoff contender trade its closer, not to mention one of the top 3 in all of baseball. But hey, it's your opinion so what do I care? Glad you're not managing the Yankees.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:45 pm

Polanco is the type of player who can have more real life value than fantasy value, so he's not always appreciated. I mentioned in another thread (at the Tigers forum) that the Tigers had a severe depth problem with middle infielders. I guess this is their attempt to get over that, while having confidence that their remaining bullpen pitchers can continue their success.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
Oh I will. It's just that I have NEVER seen a playoff contender trade its closer, not to mention one of the top 3 in all of baseball. But hey, it's your opinion so what do I care? Glad you're not managing the Yankees.

So you are totally disregarding that they just picked up UU, someone you just called a "proven closer" a few posts back?

Wagner is out of Philly after this year - why not get someone to replace him now, who is cheap, and proven?

Then sit back and watch the offers roll in for Wagner?

Baseball is hard, huh?
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:51 pm

rmeesig wrote:
Yoda wrote:

So you are totally disregarding that they just picked up UU, someone you just called a "proven closer" a few posts back?

Wagner is out of Philly after this year - why not get someone to replace him now, who is cheap, and proven?

Then sit back and watch the offers roll in for Wagner?

Baseball is hard, huh?

OK, hard feelings aside, let's look at it from a historical point of view. How many closers in Wagner's caliber have been traded from a playoff contender in the middle of a run? Let's just say the last 20 years.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers