Return to Baseball Leftovers

utley or lopez, rest of the year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

utley or lopez, rest of the year

Postby El Guapo » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:54 pm

I thought I remember seeing a thread on this, but couldn't find it. Now that Utley is the full time starter, who do you guys like better for the rest of the year?
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zhutou » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:56 pm

utley
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby FlawedReasoning » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Definitely Utley. Wish I could get him. :-/
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:01 pm

i'm going to repeat what everyone is saying. you have to go with utley especially since he'll have a fulltime gig.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby El Guapo » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:06 pm

Would there be any legitimacy to the argument that since Chase will now be facing lefties, his AVG and OPS may drop...making his numbers seem slightly less impressive?
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:08 pm

El Guapo wrote:Would there be any legitimacy to the argument that since Chase will now be facing lefties, his AVG and OPS may drop...making his numbers seem slightly less impressive?

I think its a good argument..I'm going with Lopez
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Would there be any legitimacy to the argument that since Chase will now be facing lefties, his AVG and OPS may drop...making his numbers seem slightly less impressive?

It's a decent argument that his AVG, OPS, OBP and SLG might take a hit. I don't think his value goes down since, of course, you could just bench him when he faces lefties and you're back to sqaure one.

There aren't many LHP as it is, so the drop in those 4 categories shouldn't be too extreme. Who knows if he'll get better hitting LHP when he gets more ABs? The only way to learn is through trial and error. Don't expect exceptional numbers, but his LHP splits should improve a little given the added PT.

Fact is, Utley's HRs, RBI and Runs are what make him so valuable, and those can only go up now that he has a full-time gig. Is he going to hit .300 from now until the end of the season? No, but with those kind of power numbers, how many 2b can? The power stats put him in very elite company.

To answer your question, Utley is the better option from here on out. Utley was a border-line 2b stud before the trade, and now he's a top two bagger. Lopez is decent, but Utley is the man in Philly right now.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby El Guapo » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:56 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

It's a decent argument that his AVG, OPS, OBP and SLG might take a hit. I don't think his value goes down since, of course, you could just bench him when he faces lefties and you're back to sqaure one.

There aren't many LHP as it is, so the drop in those 4 categories shouldn't be too extreme. Who knows if he'll get better hitting LHP when he gets more ABs? The only way to learn is through trial and error. Don't expect exceptional numbers, but his LHP splits should improve a little given the added PT.

Fact is, Utley's HRs, RBI and Runs are what make him so valuable, and those can only go up now that he has a full-time gig. Is he going to hit .300 from now until the end of the season? No, but with those kind of power numbers, how many 2b can? The power stats put him in very elite company.

To answer your question, Utley is the better option from here on out. Utley was a border-line 2b stud before the trade, and now he's a top two bagger. Lopez is decent, but Utley is the man in Philly right now.

That's why I pay you guys the big bucks, thanks for all the responses guys!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ilsa » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:00 pm

Yes, he's only batting .125 against lefties this year, so that is a very legit concern.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:

agreed.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers