Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to interpret silence in trade negociations?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:38 pm

Madison wrote:#1. The could be considering it, or trying to decide if they want to do it or not.

#2. They are trying to come up with a counteroffer.

#3. They haven't seen it yet.

#4. They are one of the people who leave trades like that hanging just in case someone gets hurt. :-t

very well put, chances are if they are active, then they are trying to come up with a counter offer for you
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Madison wrote:#1. The could be considering it, or trying to decide if they want to do it or not.

#2. They are trying to come up with a counteroffer.

#3. They haven't seen it yet.

#4. They are one of the people who leave trades like that hanging just in case someone gets hurt. :-t

Nice psychology.

I also hate when people keep on making bullsh*t offers after you've already politely given notes more than once saying "I am not interested in a trade at this moment." Damn public leagues...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:52 am

I usually respond right away if the deal is a clunker or if I really like it. Usually though, it's a borderline trade so I'll want to think about it or try to come up with a counter. In that event, I usually email the guy and say something like "That's an interesting offer. Can I think about it?" Psychologically, that gives him some "ownership" in the deal and sets up well for a counteroffer. It's also common courtesy.

I never leave trades pending in the hopes that someone will get hurt. That's skanky. Besides, the commish would probably veto anyway. We have an unwritten rule in our league that a trade is cancelled if one of the guys go down while the trade is pending.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers