Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overdue: Dempster Appreciation Thread (Or, Dempy Time!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Overdue: Dempster Appreciation Thread (Or, Dempy Time!)

Postby strong » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:44 pm

This guy was dogged quite a bit here when he first got the nod in Chicago, but after some initial jitters, he has been rock solid. He's converted 7 straight.

10 games, 10 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 2 BBs, 9 Ks, 7 saves.

He has single handedly saved my bullpen over the last 3 weeks... well, him and Urbina. And I think the rest of the season is looking kinda bright.

So, for those of us that took the leap of faith and went after him early, thanks, Dempster. Keep it up. And, I think he deserves some props from some of the doubters that thought he would blow up in a flash.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bmd » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:00 pm

I traded Trevor Hoffman to get Ben Sheets. At that time I needed a closer to go along with Billy Wagner. I picked up Dempster and so far have been very impressed. I hope the guy keeps it up and turns into one of the next stud closers!
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:06 pm

I don't think the doubters here haveanything to apologize for. While Dempster has done well, 10 games of quality pitching is a very small sample compared to years of suck. You can't blame people for looking at past history as a predictor of success. Dempster is defying the odds right now, and those who picked him up likely did out of desperation for saves rather than because he was a good pitcher. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back, but this is a blind squirrel type deal.

One good thing going for Dempster is that no one else really presents a challenge as Borowski's velocity is down.

So good for Dempster, but let's see him do it for a while before proclaiming him the next Turnbow. ;-7
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:07 pm

I just traded him away. How has his control been this year, to the people who have seen him play? I know that Dempster's always had the stuff.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby shpuck » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:12 pm

I picked him up a couple of weeks ago in response to a blundered trade I carried out. With him and Hoffman, I'm quite happy.

ravenmad2:
You said that there were years of suck with Dempy. This was as a starter, right? It seems he can do pretty well when he pitches one or two innings, but maybe it's just that he doesn't have the stamina to go too many innings.

everyone:
Is a stretch to compare him to Smoltz or Gagne? Didn't they have similar situations where they were a starter converted to a closer who does well? I'm not saying he's as good as Smoltz and certainly Gagne, but you have to look at similiarities in service time.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1)

Postby strong » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:19 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:I don't think the doubters here haveanything to apologize for.

You're right. It's a long season and Dempster has been solid for only the past few weeks. That goes without saying. But many of the doubters were valuing Borowksi more than Dempster. Even after Dempster was given the role for the season, Borowski was still on more rosters than Dempster. Odd, considering Borowski's recovery from surgery and his terrible season last year.

Only time will tell and Borowski has pitched well to date so he can't be considered out of it... but for now: props to those that took a flier.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:31 pm

As a save-punter in head-to-head leagues, I am quite surprised by Dempster's success. He, as my team's lone closer, has tied a game and won one for me in the last two weeks. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Return to Baseball Leftovers