Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baez Blows It Again: Orvella?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baez Blows It Again: Orvella?

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:35 pm

dude has blown 5 of his last 9, which is human. nobody would ever mistake him for trevor hoffman.

what is entirely unacceptable, however, is this quote from cbs:
Baez has blown four saves in his past eight chances and a major-league-high five overall. He told the St. Petersburg Times that part of the problem is the absence of a dependable setup man. "I've had to do both jobs," he said.

take some freakin' responsibility for being LAME, holmes.

edit: how long until orvella takes over?

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:57 pm

That is pretty lame, but he does have somewhat of a point. Closers are traditionally very fragile when you ask them to pitch out of their normal role (IE in a non-save situation or earlier than the 9th inning). Just from watching the last few box scores, I've seen him come in in the 8th inning more than a couple times, I'm sure it throws off his rhythm and also is more taxing on his arm.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Orvella should be pitching the 8th and Baez the 9th....this is getting ridiculous having Baez come in for multi inning saves nearly every single time. Get a grip, Lou. :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:01 am

they were both crap tonite
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:59 am

Cantu probably blew this save, not Baez. Freel led off the bottom ninth with a grounder that was ridiculously scored a hit. This was a Cantu error all the way.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby looptid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:39 am

This is the year wrote:That is pretty lame, but he does have somewhat of a point. Closers are traditionally very fragile when you ask them to pitch out of their normal role (IE in a non-save situation or earlier than the 9th inning). Just from watching the last few box scores, I've seen him come in in the 8th inning more than a couple times, I'm sure it throws off his rhythm and also is more taxing on his arm.

Traditionally? I guess that means circa-Eckersley? If they are fragile nowadays, it's because of a self-fulfilling prophecy, and still isn't a good excuse.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby toofunnyy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:41 am

But I will agree, closers get into a routine. Bringing a closer in the 8th inning with men on base, normally is not a good idea. You want them to start the inning, work from the windup. Closers try to get jacked up, come out throwing fire, then shut it down. That's why on some closers, they will NEVER come in the 8th. It's not because they are fragile, it's because they perform better starting the inning. Not to mention you never want to bring a closer in with runners on base, because if they score you're hurting your closers confidence. Being a closer is a mental game. They have to think no one can touch them. They come it, it's over. Most of them are starters who sucked. Like Gagne. So you don't want to bring a closer in where he gives up one hit, 2 runs score, you lose the game, and your closer feels like a bum. You do need to protect those guys. That doesn't mean you never bring a guy in the 8th, but you avoid it, which Lou obviously isn't.

And that being said, it is a lame excuse. He should have just said I haven't gotten the job done.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dkakridas » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:19 am

Orvella has not exactly been lights out either....
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers