Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz -- Best H2H week of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby colt4523 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:14 pm

Garland got me 101 pts in my h2h league a couple weeks ago. He had 2 complete game shutouts that week. Short of a no hitter or perfect game that is probably the best weekly pitching performance I have seen. I have smoltz in the same league and his point total this week was 81.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:52 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:I know....going from a closer to a starter is tough enough, but now he's pitching CG this is crazy..

50th Career CG with a half a career as a closer mixed in the middle... What a horse. I hope Smoltzy does it for 2-3 more years and makes the Hall. They just don't make pitchers like they used to.

it will be absurd if smoltz doesn't make the hall, even if his arm falls off today. he's near 2500 career Ks, and that's with 1 year out for tommy john surgery and another 3 (4?) pitching only half the normal innings due to being a closer. while galvine's recent (read: post-braves) struggles make him iffy for the hall, smoltz should be in without much difficulty.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby TreeFarm » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Had Smoltz for both games as well along with Carpenter, helped me to a 12-2 week in the H2H I am in. But.. going to miss Smoltz the rest of the year, yesterday was the final day on my team as he was traded along with torii hunter and cliff lee for Santana and Posdenik
TreeFarm Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

My opponent had Smoltz

Postby Zoinks » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:16 pm

But. I had Willis & Haren and I won! ;-)

We outscored the rest of the league by a fair margin.
Zoinks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:24 am

George_Foreman wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:I know....going from a closer to a starter is tough enough, but now he's pitching CG this is crazy..

50th Career CG with a half a career as a closer mixed in the middle... What a horse. I hope Smoltzy does it for 2-3 more years and makes the Hall. They just don't make pitchers like they used to.

it will be absurd if smoltz doesn't make the hall, even if his arm falls off today. he's near 2500 career Ks, and that's with 1 year out for tommy john surgery and another 3 (4?) pitching only half the normal innings due to being a closer. while galvine's recent (read: post-braves) struggles make him iffy for the hall, smoltz should be in without much difficulty.

Well, I agree that Smoltzie should be a HOF'er but, I found an intresting article about such. And of course.. I'm a bit biased

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=1734440
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:48 am

interesting article, but it's over a year old. if smoltz continues like this for the rest of his contract and then retires (after the 2006 season), i don't see how you can not allow him in. three years as one of the best closers in the game sandwiched bewtween two runs as an elite starter? i'll grant that his career ERA is .25 higher than maddux, but people speak of maddux like he's the surest thing for the hall (and rightly so!). perhaps smoltzy isn't a first-ballot kind of guy, but they gotta let him in!
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby bselig » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:19 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i'm curious as to what you were expecting, because a 2.88 ERA over 109 IP is HUGE, and he's on pace to win about 18 with 200 Ks. what more could you ask for?

Seriously...Yahoo has him at 32 ranking overall. I expected a good season out of Smoltz but his performance thus far has been superb.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers