Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Closer in game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:43 am

davidmarver wrote:
The Jury wrote:I'd like to, but I cannot disagree that Mariano Rivera is the best closer of the modern era. Trevor Hoffman deserves to be recognized for a close second though.

Better save percentage = Hoffman. All I have to say.

Years from now people will bring that up when they talk about the best closer of all time. I'm sure of it.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:59 am

chad cordero has clearly been the best closer this year. ryan's K-rate has been nice, but his numbers don't compare. rivera has been STEALLAR since that awful first week... but pretty much so has chad. the guy hasn't allowed a run this month! i'll grant that the save opps he's had more save opps than rivera, but he's also only blown two of them! this isn't danny gaves, folks. so what we have is cordero with more IP, comperable ratios, and a better save%.

to this point, cordero's been the best closer in MLB, hands down.

and i'll give a nod to the guy who mentioned guardado. eddie's been great thus far. i know this because i have him on the same squad that i've got chad and bj ryan on (not to mention the injured gagne. >_<)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby fezzik » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:04 pm

Another impressive note about Chad Cordero's year is that more than half of his saves have come with one run leads (16 I believe). Rivera only has 5 such saves. That's not saying Rivera wouldn't have been able to put up similar stats if given similar opportunities, but it's still pretty impressive that Cordero has faired so well in uber-close games. ;-D

In real life, I'm partial to Gagne seeing as I'm a Dodger fan...however Rivera is clearly the best closer with him out.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:43 pm

davidmarver wrote:
The Jury wrote:I'd like to, but I cannot disagree that Mariano Rivera is the best closer of the modern era. Trevor Hoffman deserves to be recognized for a close second though.

Better save percentage = Hoffman. All I have to say.

cough98cough
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers