Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's your strategy when a great deal comes your way?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's your strategy when a great deal comes your way?

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:33 am

I am known in my league for being a tough negotiator (as I'm sure many of us are). If someone proposes a trade to me, they can be relatively sure it will not look the same if/when it get done.

So what do you do when a trade is proposed to you that is too good to be true? (Most of us in the league go back and forth via email before actually proposing the final offer online, so it's not just an issue of clicking ACCEPT).

My fear is, if I accept too quickly, the team that made the offer may get suspicious and retract the offer. On the other hand, if I try to negotiate I may blow my chance at the great deal on the table.

What's your strategy?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:40 am

Owners who propose trades shouldnt be able to retract them for any reason. You put that offer on the table, you better be prepared to have it go through.

Now, if you're just talking with someone in person, it may be shrewd to downplay the players' value that you'd be getting. I've done it and I dont see anything wrong with it.

But if somone offers you a deal on your team page or whatever that looks too good to be true, just take it and hope it doesnt get vetoed.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:50 am

Most of us talk via email first, so the proposal would first come in an email. It isn't until it's pretty much accepted by both sides that one of us actually posts it on the site. There are exceptions of course but this is generally how everyone negotiates.

I actually posted a couple weeks ago about owners pulling back trades that they offered and people seemed mixed about the "league ethics" of it all.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)

Postby mkultra » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:02 am

I'm assuming that these "withdrawn" offers are informal ones in email, not on your site. If your league somehow allows accepted trades to be cancelled, that's pretty whack.

As for your situation, one strategy might be to counteroffer something clearly more advantageous to you- nothing so outrageous he'd walk away, but probably nothing he'd really accept. When he turns it down, just "fall back, grudgingly" to the original offer.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:15 am

i disagree with previously stated approaches.

best not to pee in your cage, is my philosophy.

expounder:

if the trade proposal is grossly in your favor, be forthright. say to your trading partner something along these lines: "you're shortchanging yourself, buddy. your peavy is worth quite a bit more than my brian lawrence."

why? a couple reasons. you needn't put a top-3 rounder in there, but if you add in someone else who is not the fulcrum to your entire team's performance (a coco crisp, perhaps?), this might actually help your trading partner, thereby establishing good will.

good will goes a long way toward making future deals more fluid and prosperous. furthermore, a deal like this might allow you to clear some of the barnacles from the hull, so to speak--to remove players unnecessary to your team.

word gets out that you are fair trader, and gradually, you develop the ability to spin deals at your leisure. just don't get sloppy and violate trust, because it is, as they say, a slippery slope down to the land of "don't trade with that guy."

best of luck.

b
Last edited by benjapage on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Postby Half Massed » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:12 pm

if its all via email you may try acting a bit hesitant about it, maybe say something like would you take contreras instead of arroyo? basically offer a similar guy to one asked for if you have similar guys and if he says alright, then there's no second guessing because he's the one accepting although it's basically the same offer. that's only if you or they have someone comparable though.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 pm

If they offer it on your team page just hit accept as fast as possible, but with the negotiations you are talking about I agree that immediately accepting the deal will make them think twice.
what i would do is something like half massed's idea. try offering a player of similar value, or what i like to do is seem a little hesitant, just kind of saying things like "well, I'm not so sure. let me think about this one" and then when you accept do it with a regretful "i guess so". when I'm talking in person with league members I'm always sure to get in a little stat tidbit about one of their players that I'm interested in, like "Oh did you see that XXX(insert player name here) went 0-4 last night" "yeah, its pissing me off" "yeah it must suck, hes got like 1 hit the past week" then go back to normal conversation, as it slowly degrades the value of that player in the persons mind.
http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -100)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:39 pm

If/when I ever get one, I'll let you know. :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:44 pm

i think it is immoral to backout after agreeing to do something, even more so if it was formally accepted via the site.

As for good will ...

Its just a game. No sports team outside of pee wee would warn an opponent it was doing something stupid. Well, maybe golf, but that is it. If there is that much money on the line, perhaps you should be better able to evaluate your guys when you play with the big boys. Personal player evaluation is the crux of the game, it never is the job of me to value your players for you. I will always diagree with engel about that. I think it is aflawed philosphy when playing a comeptitive game. I'd say in undermines the spirit of the game, as the point is for owners to determine their own opinions.

As for the point at hand, you could just lay out the positives and negatives (even if you have to drum some up) for the trade, but you feel satisfied, as it is an "acceptable level of risk" and you are willing to roll the dice.

take your time composing the message. Don't be silly and make it like the guy is "getting the better of you" as that is just insulting. why trade then?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:47 pm

no offense intended whatsoever, but you guys must be playing with a bunch of numbnuts if that sort of behavior actually encourages guys in your league to give up good players.

maybe i'm spoiled by good competitors in my league, but the minute anybody dogs a player on anyone's team, it's met with "well, be glad he'll never be on your team, then."

i have found (the hard way, i might add. i used to pillage the soft underbelly of newbies, back in the day) that in order to continue a pattern of many successful trades, one needs to be less tricky and more clever. how can both sides prosper?

edit: liken it to farming. if you harvest relentlessly the same crop too frequently without letting it fallow, you will get more food in the short-term but will ruin its fertility long-term.

put more clearly, if you sabotage another team, then the rest of the league will be less willing to deal with you, as will the unsuspecting victim of your behavior. what's more, he will be humiliated by the derision that will inevitably rain down upon him from the league, and you will have lost many avenues to further, potentially championship-rending trades.

consider it before developing a smarmy rep. i incurred the label several years ago, and have only recently emerged. i am simply passing on wisdom from the experience.

b
Last edited by benjapage on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers