Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sean Burroughs Scouting Report, January 2000 (What a joke)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sean Burroughs Scouting Report, January 2000 (What a joke)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:32 pm

January 2000

Of course, Sean Burroughs is #1 :

" ... as far as I'm concerned, the best hitting prospect in baseball and a prime Rookie of the Year candidate this season. The fact that the Pads are moving Ryan Klesko and Phil Nevin all around the diamond to accommodate him speaks volumes. Talk about his lack of power so far all you want, but even if the power doesn't come, then Burroughs just only becomes the next Wade Boggs and not the next George Brett. I'm sure the Pads would be crying buckets over that."

Sean Burroughs SD.  A storybook tale.  From Little League star to the majors.  Following in his father's footsteps.  There's little doubt he'll be one of the first rookies picked in the Spring draft.  The Scoresheet-talk poll showed Rafael Furcal the ATL shortstop and Burroughs as the two A-Ball players most likely to be selected.

BBA (1) " ... Unlike most young hitters, Burroughs already knows how to stay within himself on each swing and not try to do too much with a pitch. At third base, he has above-average arm strength, soft, quick hands and can become a solid defensive player."

ESPN (1) " ... excellent strike zone judgment. Power will come soon, and he could reach the majors by the end of 2001."

MLBtalk (1) " ... Look for huge numbers in AA this year and huge numbers in 2001 as the Padres' starting third baseman."

BBHQ (1) " ... He solidified himself as one of the best young (19), pure hitters in the game. He makes excellent contact, drives the ball up the gaps, and possesses outstanding strike zone judgment."
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:33 pm

I guess his power never showed up...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)

Postby mbuser » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:23 pm

the most accurate prognostication was that he knows to 'not try to do too much with a pitch.' seems like he's been very successful at that
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:31 pm

Talk about his lack of power so far all you want, but even if the power doesn't come, then Burroughs just only becomes the next Wade Boggs and not the next George Brett. I'm sure the Pads would be crying buckets over that.

I got a good laugh out of that one. :-b
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:32 pm

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ughs.shtml

No one has a crystal ball. Burroughs was an excellent hitter as a 19-20 year old in the minors. Based on his tools and performance, he was a sure-fire superstar back then. I don't see a big problem. It wasn't the first time a lot of people were wrong about a prospect and it certainly won't be the last time.

On the other hand, Burroughs is still very young and he still has plenty of time to prove himself in the majors.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:43 pm

Most of you know I absolutely love Burroughs, I still see him as a good hitter, but I guess he just couldn't become a star at the top level...yet (?).
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Burroughs has no power, hits for an average average, and makes his fair share of errors in the field. He's the worst starting third baseman in the major leagues...even David Bell's numbers dwarf Burroughs'.

Err...don't get me started.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby WittyC » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:09 pm

davidmarver wrote:Burroughs has no power, hits for an average average, and makes his fair share of errors in the field. He's the worst starting third baseman in the major leagues...even David Bell's numbers dwarf Burroughs'.

I have two words for you: Aaron Boone. :-o
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby The Sneaky Creep » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 pm

WittyC wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Burroughs has no power, hits for an average average, and makes his fair share of errors in the field. He's the worst starting third baseman in the major leagues...even David Bell's numbers dwarf Burroughs'.

I have two words for you: Aaron Boone. :-o

at least Boone has a HR
The Sneaky Creep
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TonyCee » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:16 pm

mbuser wrote:the most accurate prognostication was that he knows to 'not try to do too much with a pitch.' seems like he's been very successful at that

LOL.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers