Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Zito

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:05 am

man you guys get lucky with the WW guys. zambrano, zito, and the best pitcher dropped this month in my 10 team league: grienke. and i dropped him. :*)
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:06 am

Half Massed wrote:man you guys get lucky with the WW guys. zambrano, zito, and the best pitcher dropped this month in my 10 team league: grienke. and i dropped him. :*)

The best thing is that my league is a 12 teamer. :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Re: Barry Zito

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:26 am

hongfu_chen wrote:I heard a lot of people feeling negative about Zito. Saying such things as "Zito's curveball don't break anymore"...

I was watching the A's for the first time this year yesterday and his curveball look pretty good to me.

Why is everyone still not liking him?

I own him, and even when he seems to pitch well he doesn't get the K's. Declining K rate has been an issue for a couple years with him.

I still think he can string together several quality starts in a row with a couple shutouts thrown in along the way, but he isn't as valuable as he once was. He's had poor run support early in the year and a bad inning here and there to blow a few W's.

If you can get him cheap he should put in a solid second half, but the K's don't look like they will be returning and that drops his value quite a bit to some (i.e. me).

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:50 am

DGroundhog wrote:
I own him, and even when he seems to pitch well he doesn't get the K's. Declining K rate has been an issue for a couple years with him.

K rate actually increased last season.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:56 am

RynMan wrote:
DGroundhog wrote:

K rate actually increased last season.

It increased from the previous year, but it is still below what he once was.
Year K's IP K/9
2000 78 92.2 7.61
2001 205 214.1 8.62
2002 182 229.1 7.15
2003 146 231.2 5.68
2004 163 213.0 6.89
2005 74 107.0 6.22

2000-2002 avg = 7.79
2003-2005 avg = 6.26

He had about a year and a half run of brilliance, but other than that he's been a bit inconsistent. He's still a personal favorite as a player, and when I went ot A's games I usually went to Zito games.

I'm sure I might draft him next year as well, but it probably won't be in the first 10 rounds unless he really dazzles the rest of the way.

Not trying to hate on the guy, just trying to give a somewhat realistic look at why his value is 'down' or why some still are still taking a stand against him from a fantasy standpoint.
Last edited by DGroundhog on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:42 pm

DGroundhog wrote:Not trying to hate on the guy, just trying to give a somewhat realistic look at why his value is 'down' or why some still are still taking a stand against him from a fantasy standpoint.

Yeah I agree! I think the reason why he did so well his CY Young year was that he had a very low BA on balls in play, suggesting he was actually pretty lucky that year. The next year it increased and so did his ERA.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers