Return to Baseball Leftovers

Screw voting for the All Star team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:01 am

eftda wrote:I don't sned that post to anyone here at the cafe. I'm sure there are alot of smart St. Louis fans, but it has been claimed that St. Louis has the smartest baseball fans in America. I've never been to St. Louis but when I do meet a St. Louis fan, they only know about McGwire, Pujols, and Edgar Renteria.

Don't take this as an attack or anything (I think it's great that you made sure nobody in the Cafe took offense), but I don't think St. Louis fans are any less intelligent than any other fans out there. You may just be dealing with a certain group of fans that short-sighted. I have a few friends via the internet who are hardcore Cards fans and have been since the late 70's (they're in their late 20s, so essentially their entire lives), and they're aware of Cards history prior to their birth, and are some of the best baseball minds I've ever encountered.

Whoever made the claim that St. Louis has the smartest fans in America is about as ignorant as somebody claiming they're the dumbest (which I know you didn't do; not accusing :-) )
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:23 am

The whole think about having the smartest fans or the best fans is stupid. Fact is that fans tend to vote for the same guys year after year. Most voters are casual fans and once someone has been an all-star for a few years they just pick them again even when they are having a bad year. See Griffey, Rolen and Piazza.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby linberg » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:28 am

I think we should all get together and vote for danny graves closing and milton starting...go reds.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikegp » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:33 am

linberg wrote:I think we should all get together and vote for danny graves closing and milton starting...go reds.

Now THAT's how to get viewers. People love offense and homeruns! Vote Milton starting pitcher!!!!
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby linberg » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Exactly.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)