Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rowand

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rowand

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:47 am

Someone explain to me why he is often benched for no reason(lefty and righty) and where can I find the starting lineup before the game.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rowand

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:49 am

hongfu_chen wrote:Someone explain to me why he is often benched for no reason(lefty and righty) and where can I find the starting lineup before the game.

As has been said all over, starting lineups can be found via Yahoo! about an hour to 30 minutes before the start of a game, as can they be found on mlb.com.

My guess is Rowand sits when the team starts Frank Thomas at DH, thus moving Carl Everett into the Outfield, and putting the squeeze on Rowand on days like today. That's just speculation, as I haven't gone out and checked, but it sounds ok to me. !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Re: Rowand

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:50 am

bigh0rt wrote:
hongfu_chen wrote:Someone explain to me why he is often benched for no reason(lefty and righty) and where can I find the starting lineup before the game.

As has been said all over, starting lineups can be found via Yahoo! about an hour to 30 minutes before the start of a game, as can they be found on mlb.com.

My guess is Rowand sits when the team starts Frank Thomas at DH, thus moving Carl Everett into the Outfield, and putting the squeeze on Rowand on days like today. That's just speculation, as I haven't gone out and checked, but it sounds ok to me. !+)

I was tricked to start him in about 4 occasions !+)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:51 am

should I drop him instead for Swisher?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:38 am

hongfu_chen wrote:should I drop him instead for Swisher?

That would be a stretch IMHO. Rowand had much stronger 2nd half splits last season.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:45 am

You're gonna drop an across the board producer for a rookie because the guy sits a game every now and then? :-t
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:01 am

thehat wrote:

You're gonna drop an across the board producer for a rookie because the guy sits a game every now and then? :-t

the argument is to drop Rowand, Wilkerson or neither for Swisher.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:05 am

I'd say neither. Swisher is displaying some nice power, but he's really unlikely to hit more than .260ish and he's not going to steal much.

Rowand is more valuable by a mile IMO and Wilkerson ought to be. Even if the power doesn't show, Wilkerson has nice value hitting leadoff and will be productive in other categories.

What I'm saying is that while Swisher may be a nice enough prospect, don't get hung up on the fact he's on a two week hot streak right now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:07 am

thanks.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dkakridas » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:54 am

don't drop Rowand. He will be more consistent over the course of the season than Swisher and he brings a nice amount of steals. His power will improve as the second half rolls in.

Ozzie is known for rotating/ resting his players. He also does tis with his hitters (Hermanson was not brought in to close last night and Takatsu was allowed to try and win the game). Tonight he is going to sit Podseknik and give Everett another start in the OF.

From Rotoworld today:

--
With lefty Mike Maroth on the mound today, Scott Podsednik is expected to get the day off for the White Sox.
Carl Everett will likely start in his place in left field. ''I have to play [Everett] two days in a row,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''If I just play him one day, that's not fair. One day, whether he does something good or bad, to put him on the bench is not fair. If Carl continues to play the outfield the way he has, it's easier for me to make the lineup. I can rest my three outfielders, and it's nice for us to do that. But he needs to continue to play well in the outfield.''
--

IMO, I don't think it's a terrible thing to give starters a day off once in a while. Keeps them fresh and also makes them a bit hungrier to put up stats knowing there is so much depth behind them.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers