Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets get something straight about All-Star voting...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lets get something straight about All-Star voting...

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:15 am

The All-Star game is not, has not been, and will never be about fielding the nine guys who are having the best season.

It is NOT supposed to be a measure of who is playing the best from April-July.

The concept of having fans vote is to field the team they think is enjoyable to watch. You can argue it all you want, but if the goal was to have the hottest players, they'd just be using stats to fill the spots.

So, what makes a player enjoyable to watch? Familiarity- someone who you have seen succeed over a long period of time. Personality- someone who interacts well with the fans and media. And yes, proximity- someone who plays for your home team.

There is NOTHING wrong with this.

The main thing that gets me is the Lee/Pujols thing. I'm sick of reading about how Lee is having such a great season, and how it's a joke Pujols is getting the nod in votes. Honestly, if Lee could have held Albert's jock the last three seasons, the fans would overwhelmingly vote for him. Just like in every other aspect of life, past performance has some impact on the present. Most fans don't want to vote for some guy just emerging as a star before they know if he's a fluke. Personally, I would rather watch Pujols play... does that make me wrong? Am I supposed to vote for someone who I would have less fun watching?

Bottom line: this isn't an MVP vote. This is you telling MLB who you most enjoy watching. Take it as such and just enjoy the game.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 am

I disagree.

I have no desire to watch Tino Martinez start over Mark Teixeira simply because he got more votes (just as an example, I believe Tex is ahead now).

It's a complete joke that guys who are having superstar years get passed over for underproducers simply because the underproducers are more popular.

Oh, and most people aren't even voting for the guys they want to see play. Nomar was leading all SS's for awhile and there's no way he would be able to play in the game.

The whole thing has turned into one big mess. :-/ I'd love to see it go to a points type of thing and the votes taken out of the fans' hands. At least that way, the deserving players would make it instead of the guys who just coast along with name recognition. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Shakes » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 am

i gotta agree allstar is just a huge populatirty contest. And i wouldn't have a problem with it if mlb did little bit more with the voting. But being able to vote 25 times with any email adress you make up is silly. You can type mailto:thisisafake@email.com and mlb lets you vote. If mlb did something like have to have the user register and then only gets 1 vote i wouldn't have as much troubl with current system.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby slappinSingles » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:27 am

I can see both sides of that. The only problem i see is if managment/HOF ever uses number of AS seasons to judge a player for the HOF or a new contract. I've read numerous articles on that happening in the NFL. A player could get an extra boost or an unfair disadvantage because he didn't get the votes.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:33 am

The people I most enjoy watching happen to be the players who have earned a spot that year. It would mean more to a guy like Lee than a perennial guy like Pujols. So if it is in fact about who the fans WANT to see, then I want to see the guys who most deserve it this year, and even better if they're "new" faces as opposed to regular starters.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby davus » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:35 am

slappinSingles wrote:I can see both sides of that. The only problem i see is if managment/HOF ever uses number of AS seasons to judge a player for the HOF or a new contract. I've read numerous articles on that happening in the NFL. A player could get an extra boost or an unfair disadvantage because he didn't get the votes.

Why shouldn't contracts be higher for guys getting in the AS game more? They will bring more revenue to the club because of their popularity, thus they should be paid more.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:25 am

Now that MLB has tied winning the All Star game to home field advantage in the World Series, voting for a guy like Tino becomes more than just a joke. Totally unfair to that particular league.

There's no way they will take voting away from the fans, but a possible remedy might be to set up a points system where the fans, players, managers and coaches all vote and they are weighed 1/3 each. But maybe that makes too much sense for the Commish :*)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:49 am

Actually, I didn't mind who made the All-Star team when it was an exhibition match. Sure, "All-Star" is a misnomer because it is treated as a popularity contest, and although you could niggle over a couple of positions each season, I think it was fair (but not perfect) in putting the right players on the teams overall. Plus, you still got to see a hefty bevy of big names on the field together (I would complain about interleague play here but that's a whole 'nother post).

As it is now, fans should not have the majority of voting power. I like rlee's 1/3 vote idea. It would still keep fan involvement without letting them gravitate into rampant homerism. I also feel the "one player per team" rule is archaic and needs to be abolished. Sorry, life is hard and every team does not have an All-Star player every year.

I may be accused of being a traditionalist, but one thing that I think baseball has forgotten is that it is an honor just to be voted to the team. I don't care if you get in the game or not, honestly. Most of the players treat it as a vacation anyway (as they earn their contract bonu$). They bring their families and their video cameras and generally socialize instead of trying to win. Most of the players won't even be in the World Series this season. Where is their incentive to play like it means something?

I do have a question: wasn't this a two year experiment? This is the second year. Does anyone know if it will remain this way after this year?
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)

Postby AT » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:56 pm

Today is the 79th consecutive day I have voted for Tino Martinez to play 1B for the AL. I also wrote in Sean Henn to pitch.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby linberg » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:00 pm

I voted for Milton and Graves. Figured everyone likes offense.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers