Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Encarnacion in Pinstripes???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Encarnacion in Pinstripes???

Postby dracovonborax » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:12 am

just heard it on Mike & Mike this morning with the Cameron deal falling through. if this happens, do you see Juan stepping up big in the 2nd half and what will they be giving up to get him since it's obviously not going to be Sheffield.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:32 am

The Yanks seem dead-set on trading for a crappy outfielder. But Encarnacion is a much better option than giving up Sheffield for Cameron, however.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:53 am

stumpak wrote:The Yanks seem dead-set on trading for a crappy outfielder. But Encarnacion is a much better option than giving up Sheffield for Cameron, however.

Kotsay isn't a crappy outfielder.

Cammy and Winn and Long and Encar may be, but I'll gladly take Kotsay.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby jblank » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:07 pm

stumpak wrote:The Yanks seem dead-set on trading for a crappy outfielder. But Encarnacion is a much better option than giving up Sheffield for Cameron, however.

Completely disagree. You think Encarnacion is a better all around player than Cameron?
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:09 pm

jblank wrote:

Completely disagree. You think Encarnacion is a better all around player than Cameron?

That's not what he said.

He said he'd rather get Encar than trade Sheffield for Cameron. I completely agree.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:11 pm

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that giving up something lesser than Sheffield for Encarnacion is a far better move than giving up Sheffield for Cameron. Cameron is nearly worthless in fantasy baseball unless you are in some format where BA does not count but I agree that his real baseball is more substantial due to his defense.

But I now see that Burnett and Sheffield were involved as well, so it is sort of moot discussion.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:13 pm

Good I have Encar on my bench and this may just light a fire under him. He has 10hr 42 Rbi that isn't terrible. Similar numbers to the great Beltran this year!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:28 pm

Look at Encarnacion's career half-splits. In 2004 he posted a .229 post-break; in 2003, .250. .262 in 2002, and .212 in 2001. For his career he bats .272 before the break and .256 after, with 30 less Homers and 105 less RBI. This guy is one of the biggest second half dropoff players in the league. There's no way I'd want him on my fantasy roster for the rest of this season, no matter where he is.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby tomkatt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:08 pm

stumpak wrote:No, I am not saying that. I am saying that giving up something lesser than Sheffield for Encarnacion is a far better move than giving up Sheffield for Cameron. Cameron is nearly worthless in fantasy baseball unless you are in some format where BA does not count but I agree that his real baseball is more substantial due to his defense.

But I now see that Burnett and Sheffield were involved as well, so it is sort of moot discussion.

Wow. Harsh opinion of Cameron. I don't think he's super or anything, but I like him for his ability to hit one out or steal a bag. I sure don't think he's worthless.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jblank » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:20 pm

stumpak wrote:No, I am not saying that. I am saying that giving up something lesser than Sheffield for Encarnacion is a far better move than giving up Sheffield for Cameron. Cameron is nearly worthless in fantasy baseball unless you are in some format where BA does not count but I agree that his real baseball is more substantial due to his defense.

Again, I completely disagree. Cameron has 30HR power and 30SB speed, plus he is drawing a good number of walks and still hitting nearly .300 on the year. Add to that his fantastic defense and he is a much better player than you are making him out to be. Is he Manny Ramirez or Miguel Cabrera? No, but he isnt bench fodder either.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers