Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loaning Allowed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby whoson1st0 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:21 am

Hmmm, that is interesting. The team "loaning" Beltre is getting some good pitchers though, especially in a keeper league. And there is no guarantee Beltre will suddenly break out in the 2nd half. (f it was a complete trade there would be no qualms of course, but I certainly have never heard of anything like this.

I would think something like this would have to be specified in the rules though, i.e. you can't say "well the rules never said you can't loan players, so you can"

That said, if this is allowed via the rules, it really isn't too different from a normal trade - if I'm "loaning" a team Jason Schmidt, I should be getting enough value in return that collusion isn't suspected.

Personally, although I think it's an intriguing concept, I would probably need to be convinced more to vote for it in my league. I think when you trade a guy, he should be gone.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:37 am

I consider that collusion.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby mkultra » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:40 am

Ordinarily, "loaning" players is perfectly acceptable (and has been discussed here before).

Given your situation, though (6-person league? WOW 8-o ), I think there's some collusion at work.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:45 am

Each league has to decide on its own guidelines, of course, but I'm not a big fan of loans. You can get into 'you loan me all your studs this year, I''ll lend you mine next season' territory pretty quickly...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:08 am

People in my keeper league had been doing this because it was not specifically forbidden in the rules. After a couple of years everyone decided that they did not like it and the rules were revised to prohibit loaning. So I would say it is fair and OK in a keeper league, since the team who is borrower gives something up in return for loan, so long as the practice is not disallowed by the rules.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:09 am

it is unethical at best and cheating at worst...do not allow it
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)