Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loaning Allowed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:39 pm

if you do some searching, you'll find some good debate (look under rent-a-player) on this topic.

Someone tried one of these in one of my leagues- in the end we decided it would only breed more trouble, and decided it wasn't legal. Even if there is no collusion, it can upset all fair play in the league... for instance, the bottom team could "rent" all his studs to one team for a solid player the following year. It's not really collusion, because the trade benefits both players. But it certainly makes for lots of trouble.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:49 pm

loaning is perfectly sensible in single-season leagues, but not in keepers
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby bolkonsky » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Sorry to re-post, but I was having trouble with the link. I wrote this a few months back:

We instituted a "no-tradeback" rule in our 10 team NL-only dynasty league about 6 years ago. The rule prevents people from making trades of this kind:

2005: Team A gives Piazza, Beltran and Prior
Team B gives Langerhans and Niekro

2006 (pre-season): Team A gives D. Navarro
Team B gives Piazza, Beltran Prior and Abreu

If you do not nip this in the bud, very shortly you will have people basically exchanging teams so that one of them can win one year and the other can win the next (and this is clearly collusion). If you enact a rule like this, make certain that you include a provision accounting for "substitute" return players (i.e., in the example above, Team B giving M-Cab, Thome and Shcmidt in 2006 instead of Piazza, Beltran and Prior).

Ever since we enacted this rule (and explained the policy behind it), we have not had any problems. If the people in your league are even remotely reasonable, I think they will see why trade arrangements of this type should be discouraged.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:30 pm

I really don't see anything wrong with "loaning" players. Certainly, the owners involved were free to trade Beltre now and then, at the end of the season, trade him back. What difference does it make if they agree to both trades at the same time?

If I need steals and another player needs saves, why can't we agree to swap Pods for Cordero for three weeks and then trade them back? Again, we could obviously trade Pods for Cordero today and then, in three weeks, agree to trade them back.

NOW that doesn't mean that THIS specific example of loaning wasn't collusive. Any trade can be collusive under the specific circumstances, but it shouldn't matter whether its a straight trade or a loan.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers