Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Pedro

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:41 am

The guy has been money all year. What are the thoughts on him for the rest of the year? I thought he was a real injury risk coming into the season (maybe I just believed the Red Sox propoganda machine) and stayed away. Is he going to hold up all season?

My personal belief is that at some point he'll revert back to the six inning pitcher he was the last few years, but those six innings should still be pretty productive ones. Is he worth trying to pick up at this point or do I want to stay away?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:43 am

My thoughts on Pedro....

Hmm.... :-? ....yup....

Think he will continue to be an a**hole.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:44 am

I've got him in a keeper league and I'm not sure I'm going to keep him at the end of the year. I really want to but the injury risk is a factor. I'll end up keeping.

I think he'll have a second half comparable to his first half. Not too much better, not too much worse barring any injury.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:46 am

I think a lot of people were kinda scared off by what the Red Sox were saying all offseason, myself included. I don't think he will hold up long enough to justify the fourth year of the deal, but I think he will easily be a top 10 pitcher for the next couple seasons.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Little of topic but I think he's a baby and bitter about going to NY....Here's what he said in today's paper,

"I don't miss the media - at all; don't miss the talk (radio) programs that they have on WEEI. Don't miss any of the negativity that was around there. Pretty much all the negatives that everybody sees, I don't miss."

Just let it go jeez you're on another team, stop talking about Boston!

Here's the full link
Boston Herald
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Dice » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Pedro has been better the less a team has seen him. The AL East had a book on him from years of experience. He dominated the AL West.

He was pretty good last year and didn't miss a start. Going to a new league helps. Facing pitchers instead of the DH helps. The Mets home park helps, too.

The Sox saw him as an injury risk, but that was over the course of four years. They were willing to sign him at three years. He's an injury risk, but I think that's been overstated.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:11 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:Just let it go jeez you're on another team, stop talking about Boston!

My guess is, he gets asked about Boston pretty often. He probably could be a little more positive about things, I realize.

As has been stated, the injury risk is what you need to watch out for. But I see no reason why he can't maintain a similar performance all season, the NL will continue to be good to him I think. And if Beltran is getting healthier, it will only help the Mets' offense, which will help Pedro out. I don't consider him a sell-high guy.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:15 pm

I think Pedro will have an excellent 2nd half!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Pedro is one of the elite pitchers in the entire MLB, and has been for some time now. I think as far as injuries go, you may see him sit out a start or two in the second half, to prevent him from wearing down and being forced to miss an extended period of time. He's a fantasy SP that you start under any circumstance.

I've disproven the "6 inning pitcher" myth twice now; but, as an overview, only one time in the past six years has Pedro averages less IP/start in the second half than in the first. He generally averages a half an inning more per start in the second half over that same stretch. I'd be willing to give up quite a lot to get Pedro at this point, even in a keeper format.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:57 pm

I think Pedro's injury talk is totally overblown. Games started since 2002: 30, 29, 33. And that's not uncluding the playoffs. So far this season, he's been fine.

He definitely lost a few MPH on his fastballs but he is still one of the smartest pitchers out there. He was way too combustible in 2004. He gave up like 7-8 runs in a few outings which I've never seen him do in his career.

He'll be a top 5 starter for at least the next 2 to 3 years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers