Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Duchscherer--hey A's fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Justin Duchscherer--hey A's fans

Postby Area51's » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:46 pm

This guy always seems to put up decent numbers, and I borrowed him this week while Street was on the shelf. My question is...where the heck did the K's come from. He always used to look like a finesse guy with great control; sort of a Radke, Moyer-esque or rich man's Brian Anderson. He was always totally safe to put on your team; but I usually lean to the higher K guys that can make folks swing and miss.

Anywho, this year, he is consistently striking out a batter an inning (39.2 innings, 39 K's). I haven't watched him pitch at all this year.

Where the heck are the K's coming from? Did he get some added velocity? Is his stuff just that deceiving?

His role with A's aside, he is putting up some very nice numbers so far, and seems to do well in any situation.

Whats the scoop?
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:28 pm

Apparently he has added a very good cutter to his array of pitches. He's been using it alot and it seems to be working. I wouldn't have thought that it would have had such a dramatic effect though! :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:13 pm

I watch all the A's games either on TV or in person as I currently live in the bay area.

My take form watching Ducsherer is that His K's will start to flatten out a bit as the year goes on. I just don't see the dominating stuff to give him a K per inning for an enitre season. He has pitched very well all year, but he isn't just making people look silly. when its all said and done we will see about 7Ks per 9.
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gofish » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:04 pm

I think im gonna keep him a while even if hes not closing.. done nothing but lower my era and whip while giving me K's for a month in H2H...
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers