Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Jon Garland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Jon Garland

Postby bolkonsky » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:49 pm

Just some random thoughts about a guy a lot of people are talking about right now.

The bottom line with this guy is that he is an above average major league pitcher, nothing more and nothing less. His stuff is pretty good and his newfound willingness to challenge hitters has made a huge difference this year. Granted, he got off to a ridiculous start in part because he snuck up on some people who were used to Bad (average) Jon; however, it was also because he has clearly changed his approach and improved his game.

For our (fantasy) purposes, I see him as a 14-18 game winner for the foreseeable future. I do think he will come back down to earth a bit in the second half and settle in as a 3.75-4.25 ERA pitcher for the bulk of his career. As a result, his second half numbers might make a lot of people regard him as a first half fluke. I think people will shy away from him (esp. those who put stock in splits), but don't be afraid to take him as a middle of your rotation starter with upside (somewhere in the 7th-11th round of most drafts). Plus, (knock on wood) he has never had any serious injuries, which is nice. ;-D
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers