Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2098015

NEW YORK -- Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Kline was suspended for four games and New York Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield for two by the commissioner's office on Thursday.

Kline was ejected following a balk call Monday night in Baltimore, when he angrily protested the decision by plate umpire Marty Foster. Orioles manager Lee Mazzilli went on the field, standing between Foster and the charging Kline.

Kline immediately appealed the decision. Speaking in front of his locker Thursday, the left-hander said, "It's a joke. I've seen worse than what I did. ... Sheffield only gets two games and I get four for something I don't even know what I did yet? Go figure."

Sheffield was ejected after being called out at first base by umpire C.B. Bucknor in Sunday's game against the Mets at Yankee Stadium. Sheffield threw his helmet after he was called out, and replays showed he appeared to beat the throw.

"I think Bob Watson's decision was completely wrong," Yankees president Randy Levine said. "He totally missed the point that this whole incident was precipitated by a now-known erroneous call at first base and an overreaction by the umpire, who prematurely ejected Gary Sheffield.

"We applaud Sheffield for appealing this decision. We will assist him in every manner possible and look forward to demonstrating to the commissioner's office the outrageousness of this decision."

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, penalized the pair for "aggressive actions" He also fined Kline $3,000 and Sheffield $2,000.

Two ridiculous suspensions here.

Kline didn't balk and was upset at being wrongly called for one.

Sheffield was wrongly called out and was upset about it as he should have been.

Just embarrassing actions by the League here. Supsending players for reacting to two calls that were made wrongly by baseball's umps. :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:34 pm

Kline did balk and even admitted it but he didn't deserve 4 games. Sheffs suspension was kinda dumb!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Re: Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:36 pm

blankman wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2098015

NEW YORK -- Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Kline was suspended for four games and New York Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield for two by the commissioner's office on Thursday.

Kline was ejected following a balk call Monday night in Baltimore, when he angrily protested the decision by plate umpire Marty Foster. Orioles manager Lee Mazzilli went on the field, standing between Foster and the charging Kline.

Kline immediately appealed the decision. Speaking in front of his locker Thursday, the left-hander said, "It's a joke. I've seen worse than what I did. ... Sheffield only gets two games and I get four for something I don't even know what I did yet? Go figure."

Sheffield was ejected after being called out at first base by umpire C.B. Bucknor in Sunday's game against the Mets at Yankee Stadium. Sheffield threw his helmet after he was called out, and replays showed he appeared to beat the throw.

"I think Bob Watson's decision was completely wrong," Yankees president Randy Levine said. "He totally missed the point that this whole incident was precipitated by a now-known erroneous call at first base and an overreaction by the umpire, who prematurely ejected Gary Sheffield.

"We applaud Sheffield for appealing this decision. We will assist him in every manner possible and look forward to demonstrating to the commissioner's office the outrageousness of this decision."

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, penalized the pair for "aggressive actions" He also fined Kline $3,000 and Sheffield $2,000.

Two ridiculous suspensions here.

Kline didn't balk and was upset at being wrongly called for one.

Sheffield was wrongly called out and was upset about it as he should have been.

Just embarrassing actions by the League here. Supsending players for reacting to two calls that were made wrongly by baseball's umps. :-t

Kline's was a balk.
Sheffield was safe.

Only one call was wrong.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:43 pm

Yankee fans upset over a ruling from Yankee Bob? The world is coming to an end 8-o
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:45 pm

nsulham wrote:Yankee fans upset over a ruling from Yankee Bob? The world is coming to an end 8-o

Try to say something relevant and unsarcastic for once in a thread about the a Yankee player, please.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:46 pm

blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:Yankee fans upset over a ruling from Yankee Bob? The world is coming to an end 8-o

Try to say something relevant and unsarcastic for once in a thread about the a Yankee player, please.

I have plenty, thanks. But since you're giving out suggestions, take the same yourself. Thanks.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:47 pm

They weren't suspended because of what call the umps made, they were suspended because of how they reacted to them. No matter if an ump is right or wrong (and they will be wrong sometimes because they are human), whenever you cross the line you deserve to be punished.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:49 pm

blankman wrote:Sheffield was wrongly called out and was upset about it as he should have been.

The Yankees have made a big deal about that call but the Yankees ended up winning the game so no harm, no foul. Now I definitely agree with you that it was a bad call but when you flip out on an umpire you're just asking for it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 pm

The ump was the one confronting Sheffield. He got right in his face and threw him out immediately after making the wrong call.

And ns.. I asked you politely to say something useful on the topic and you attack me for it? I said nothing sarcastic or irrelevant to the topic like you did, so don't accuse me of the garbage you pulled.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:55 pm

Amazinz wrote:
blankman wrote:Sheffield was wrongly called out and was upset about it as he should have been.

The Yankees have made a big deal about that call but the Yankees ended up winning the game so no harm, no foul. Now I definitely agree with you that it was a bad call but when you flip out on an umpire you're just asking for it.

When the league realizes that its the wrong call, they should have just left it all alone. Especially after the ump was the one that confronted Sheffield and could have just ignored it and just let the league fine Sheffield for throwing his helmet.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers