Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield Suspended 2 games? Plus 4 for Kline?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:The league didn't suspend Sheffield because he argued the call. Sheffield got suspended because he got ejected from the game and refused to leave instead getting up in the face of the umpire. Not defending it necessarily but that's the reasoning for the suspension.

Ok, I just thinks its ridiculous considering the call was wrong and the ump ejected him very prematurely, nearly immediately after the call. He was just waiting to do it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:32 pm

Amazinz wrote:The league didn't suspend Sheffield because he argued the call. Sheffield got suspended because he got ejected from the game and refused to leave instead getting up in the face of the umpire. Not defending it necessarily but that's the reasoning for the suspension.

Dude, are you serious? Every person in the history of mankind gets their money's worth after their tossed.

Have you ever seen an ump throw a guy out, and the guy calmly turn away and walk back to the dugout? Hell no. They scream at the ump and make sure their argument is heard. That's the way it is. They don't get suspensions for that. I think it's ludicrous if in fact, that was their basis.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Dude, are you serious? Every person in the history of mankind gets their money's worth after their tossed.

Have you ever seen an ump throw a guy out, and the guy calmly turn away and walk back to the dugout? Hell no. They scream at the ump and make sure their argument is heard. That's the way it is. They don't get suspensions for that. I think it's ludicrous if in fact, that was their basis.

Agreed with it being bogus and nothing special.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:55 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

I'm serious. Like I said, I'm not defending the suspension but he threw his helmet, was overly aggressive (in the eyes of MLB) and refused to leave. I believe past behavior plays a part as well.

But here's the simple truth, don't show your ass and you won't get suspended. You can argue that the suspension isn't fair or comparable all you want but ultimately the player has total control over the situation. Sheffield has appealed the suspension so if the decision was really off the mark it will get overturned.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

I'm serious. Like I said, I'm not defending the suspension but he threw his helmet, was overly aggressive (in the eyes of MLB) and refused to leave. I believe past behavior plays a part as well.

But here's the simple truth, don't show your ass and you won't get suspended. You can argue that the suspension isn't fair or comparable all you want but ultimately the player has total control over the situation. Sheffield has appealed the suspension so if the decision was really off the mark it will get overturned.

I don't disagree and I didn't mean to question you're opinion, I was more saying it to MLB. I understand Sheffield could have acted better, that's without question. I'm just shocked that he got a suspension from something that isn't very uncommon.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers