Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players that got snubbed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:16 am

Registered_Guest wrote:I thought it was no doubt Pods deserved to be going. Matsui deserved to go over Garrett Anderson, but that's a different story in itself. Who cares if he's not hitting extra base hits when he's near automatic to steal 2B???

Anyone that says SB's are worthless needs their head examined. Guy on 1st, single to OF.....guy doesn't score. Guy on 2B, single to OF.....guy scores.

The Sox pitching is undoubtedly improved. Garland was lucky to even be in the rotation to start the year. So as the pitching has improved, so has the defense (and the range of).

The Ditka poster above hit the nail in the head (and seems to be a fellow Sox follower -- even if you're not -- you seem to be one of the few posters that understand how the Sox are winning). The Sox remind me of the good Yankee teams of the 90's (back when Bernie had some range). Great pitching, defense, pen, and at manufacturing runs. Great baseball to watch.

It's great that the fans got this vote right. And great to see Pods get the honor after battling his way through the minors.

Who cares if he's not hitting extra base hits? Well, anyone who cares about scoring runs should, because it's one of the most important contributions to scoring runs.

No one is saying that SBs are worthless. They are simply saying that if your only skill is SBs, that's simply not enough to make up for other deficiencies in your game.

Tom Tippett did a great study of Ichiro's contributions through speed...and it's not nearly as important as you think.
http://www.diamond-mind.com/articles/ichiro.htm

Yes, the pitching and the defense have improved, but the pitching deserves the much larger share of the credit. And the offense has gotten worse, in part because of Pods lack of slugging.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:04 am

Ensberg got shafted, Jeter too.

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby tomahawk » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:06 pm

All this talk about Pods and nobody mentions Crawford? The dude is on pace for somthing like:

100 runs
200 hits
20 hrs
16 triples
90 rbis
50 sbs
.285 avg

I actually think he's gonna hit more than 20 HRs this year, probably 25 or so. The dude is almost 24, 6-2/220 and a speed demon.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.
tomahawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Jbyrdo » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:13 pm

If Hideki Matsui doesn't make the all star team, I am pretty sure (but not at all positive) that Ichiro is going to hit in the home run derby. They are doing it differently this year and Ichiro is the only Japanese batter on the all star team.

Wouldn't that be a sight, Ichiro in the HR Derby.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Jbyrdo wrote:If Hideki Matsui doesn't make the all star team, I am pretty sure (but not at all positive) that Ichiro is going to hit in the home run derby. They are doing it differently this year and Ichiro is the only Japanese batter on the all star team.

I would like to see it. But he's not sure whether he would accept an invitatation to the derby.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Jbyrdo wrote:If Hideki Matsui doesn't make the all star team, I am pretty sure (but not at all positive) that Ichiro is going to hit in the home run derby. They are doing it differently this year and Ichiro is the only Japanese batter on the all star team.

I would like to see it. But he's not sure whether he would accept an invitatation to the derby.
Me too. I think Ichiro would do very well.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers