Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does Johan Santana suck now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:05 am

Starting pitchers make 32-35 starts a year, and it is insane to think that they are capable of pitching "perfectly" every time out. There is just too much in play. Defense, defensive alignment, weather, umpires, dying quails. Some days you just don't have your best stuff, and somedays you come across a good team.
Its just the nature of the business.

Nobody here can tell me that they do their job every single day to the best of their talents, and that everybody surrounding them does too. It just doesn't happen

Johan will be fine.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:43 am

Santana a big disapointment? I guess I don't know what the scale is. Seven wins, 143 strike outs, a 3.98 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP doesn't seem like a big disapointment. Not what was expected, but not bad either.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby CPHFighter1 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 pm

looptid wrote:Santana a big disapointment? I guess I don't know what the scale is. Seven wins, 143 strike outs, a 3.98 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP doesn't seem like a big disapointment. Not what was expected, but not bad either.

The disappointment resides in the fact that many used a first round pick on him this year. I kept him from last year and I am well aware of him single handedly carrying me to victory. There actually seems to be more panic this year than last year because of his cost coming into this year. Just be patient, everyone, you won't be disappointed at year's end. The light will go on soon enough; he's not hurt.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:42 pm

Alright. Let's say you're in a 12-team league. ESPN's average live draft results have the first 12 picks being:

A.Pujols
A.Rodriguez
V.Guerrero
C.Beltran
A.Soriano
M.Tejada
J.Santana
M.Ramirez
T.Helton
R.Johnson
B.Abreu
I.Suzuki

In the ESPN Player Rater, Santana ranks 38th, which is low for where he was drafted. Pujols (2nd), Abreu (3rd), Rodriguez (4th), Tejada (11th), Ramirez (15th), Soriano (20th), Guerrero (29th), and Ichiro (36th) all rank ahead of him. Johnson (97th), Beltran (158th), and Helton (175th) rank underneath him. Those three guys are busts, but I don't think Sanata is far enough down to consider him a bust. While he's not single-handedly winning your league, he's not the reason you're losing either.

Yahoo's current season rankings (which I know are debatable) have the 12 like this: Pujols (2nd), Abreu (3rd), Rodriguez (4th), Ramirez (13th), Tejada (16th), Soriano (19th), Santana (26th), Guerrero (32nd), Johnson (51st), Ichiro (80th), Beltran (236th), Helton (273rd). Once again, I don't think that's low enough to justify calling Johan a bust.

In the points league I play in, where Johan is my franchise player, he currently ranks 11th due to the innings pitched and high strikeout totals. And I am quite satisfied with that.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:07 pm

If Johan Santanna sucks im the president

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:38 pm

In the ESPN Player Rater, Santana ranks 38th, which is low for where he was drafted. Pujols (2nd), Abreu (3rd), Rodriguez (4th), Tejada (11th), Ramirez (15th), Soriano (20th), Guerrero (29th), and Ichiro (36th) all rank ahead of him. Johnson (97th), Beltran (158th), and Helton (175th) rank underneath him. Those three guys are busts, but I don't think Sanata is far enough down to consider him a bust. While he's not single-handedly winning your league, he's not the reason you're losing either.

Yahoo's current season rankings (which I know are debatable) have the 12 like this: Pujols (2nd), Abreu (3rd), Rodriguez (4th), Ramirez (13th), Tejada (16th), Soriano (19th), Santana (26th), Guerrero (32nd), Johnson (51st), Ichiro (80th), Beltran (236th), Helton (273rd). Once again, I don't think that's low enough to justify calling Johan a bust.

Santana's lackluster ranking is due to his mediocre ERA and wins total. Those two categories poorly represent how good Santana has been this season. His peripherals have been awesome. Had he not been so unlucky this year, he would be ranked in the top 10 of fantasy players easily.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Irish » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:04 pm

The main point should be : BUY HIM LOW IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Twinskies » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Irish wrote:The main point should be : BUY HIM LOW IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Thank you, I was sifting through this travishamockery of a thread waiting for someone to say that. Anyone who has watched Santana pitch knows just how good he is. To come on to a message board and rant about how he "sucks" is absolutely assinine. From a fantasy standpoint, his value will never be lower than it is right now....if i'm looking to make a mid-season addition to my team, this is the guy that I'm gonna make a deal for....I just hope that his current owner is dumb enough to jump to the same conclusions that some of you have spewed out here.
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers