Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jay Payton designated for assignment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:38 am

I wrote:That's not all the leadoff hitters, but it's a lot of them and Roberts fits right in.

FYI Podsednik has 9 ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:43 am

davidmarver wrote:Cora and his 2 K's today look real nice to go along with Payton ;-7 . C'mon, that one was a no-brainer Padres victory...the Yankees/Padres one is at least arguable since it's yet to be seen.

I'm not arguing who won. I personally don't give a crap. And my point is, either should you. It's Dave Roberts and Paul Quantrill. Who really cares? Both trades were crap trades, swapping utility players and/or guys who won't have big impacts on either team. I don't care if the Padres got the better, the better equates to just above nothing at all. The trades mean nothing. Brag about a trade your team made when you get somebody noteworthy.

That's my point.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:35 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Brag about a trade your team made when you get somebody noteworthy.

That's my point.

sorry if it bothers you Bombers..
You of course, don't have to read, and I might even go so far as to recommend that next time, since you can't seem to handle facts.
But first maybe you need to get your facts strait.

Dave was questioned first.
Dave made one comment ONE!
all he said was ...
davidmarver wrote:And to think we got Dave Roberts for him... :-b

and then he was blasted with your guys BS.
nsulham wrote:Again with Roberts? How many times can it be said that there was no room in Boston for him? He wasn't going to play over Damon, Manny or Trot. He wanted a chance to play and they obliged him.

He'll always be remembered fondly by Sox fans for The Steal but the fact is he wanted more PT and he just wasn't gonna get that in Boston.

Just be happy you guys have him and move on :-°

This is the year wrote:Yeah, I guess the Pads got a steal if you're a fan of injury-prone outfielders with a career .696 OPS :-°

Don't get me wrong, I won't hesistate to buy D-Rob a beer if I ever run into him, but he's a marginal starting outfielder at best. At least Payton has some pop and Vazquez provided flexibility (supposedly)

Fantasy baseball does not equal real baseball. Kevin Towers doesn't get roto points for stolen bases.

The Sox got the better end of that deal.

BronXBombers51 wrote:Don't worry about it, these Padre fans like to think they get the best of every deal they make... ;-)

So simply what you are saying is we should just shut up and take the abuse that is dished from the east coast teams. Basically, it’s ok for you guys to make snide comments day in and day out, and create whatever BS you choose, (IE: The daily top 10 Steriods abusers threads/polls) but when he backs his arguement up with facts, real FACTSQ, you can't take it, and he should just blow it out his ass until the Padres win 26 championships, cus you don't want to hear it ...

.. I got news for you.
It’s not going to happen.
Nobody is going to win 26 championships in our lifetime, and I promise this, I won't shut up "cus you don't wanna hear it " ... in my lifetime. ;-)

The facts here arequite simple, actually
You guys went after him with your BS snide remarks, and by using simple facts, he turned around and shoved it right back in your face.
Deal with it!
cudos to you Dave!
Now, had to you chosen to refrain from your comments, I doubt this thread would have ever gone three pages.

Does Dave Roberts really have as many win shares as Carl Crawford?
You go on with your bad self Dave. That’s fricking awesome. ;-D ;-D

Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it Yank!
Just as many win shares as Carl Crawford and Ichiro fricking Suzuki!

Damn if I do not absolutely despise the east coast teams and there ******* arrogance. :-t
Last edited by wrveres on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:50 am

Come on WR, abuse? Since we're dealing with facts here, the fact is whenever the topic of Dave Roberts comes up, marver proceeds to remind Red Sox fans, ad nauseum, of how your Padres "fleeced" the Sox.

In no way to me is pointing out that there was no room in Boston for Roberts this season "blasting him with BS". I don't get into that win shares stuff because I never said Roberts was a bad player. NEVER.

My lone point was that Roberts wanted a place to play, wasn't going to get it it in Boston, and was traded to a place where he could play regularly. I have absolutely no problem with him being a Padre and I wish him success but damn, it's not like SD got one by on the Sox.

Padres needed a centerfielder and a leadoff hitter. Roberts wanted a chance to play. The Sox were willing to abide by Dave's wishes because's a class act and they got (what seemed at the time) two decent returns for him. It's not like Theo went to Towers with the idea of making a blockbuster. He was simply doing right by a guy who helped them win the WS while at the same time doing what he felt he needed to to help his team for this season.

I fail to see any trace of snideness in any of my remarks concering Roberts.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:06 am

I'm just pleased to see the Red Sox pick up Cora, who will help this team with his defense. From a fantasy standpoint, he's completely useless, but on the actual field, a nice late inning defensive upgrade from Bellhorn and certainly a better player than Vazquez.

As for Roberts vs. Payton, I'd rather have Roberts any day. He played very little for the Red Sox, but was a great team guy. Payton decided that being a platoon OF with a defending WS champ was evidently beneath him. That stamps him as a stone loser in my book. Good riddance.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:10 am

nsulham wrote:Padres needed a centerfielder and a leadoff hitter. Roberts wanted a chance to play. The Sox were willing to abide by Dave's wishes because's a class act and they got (what seemed at the time) two decent returns for him. It's not like Theo went to Towers with the idea of making a blockbuster. He was simply doing right by a guy who helped them win the WS while at the same time doing what he felt he needed to to help his team for this season.

I'll agree with you on the Roberts trade. Theo was simply appeasing Roberts and wasn't looking to get anything major in return. and In reality, this trade is no big deal .... to you.

To us on the other hand it has been a godsend. We haven't had a leadoff hitter in SD for a decade. We haven't had a guy who can steal bases with regularity in a decade or more. Just the mere presence of Roberts in the lineup, makes the team better. I know it sounds absurd, this is after all Dave Roberts right? but it is true. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

As for the BS. Sure Marver can post ad nauseum to drive home a point, I'll agree with you there too. But you can't blame the guy for supporting his team with fervor. He is a fan, and apparently a very knowledgeable fan at that.

Now I know this is not your comment, but I guarantee if somebody said some BS to you like that about the Sox .. you would go out of your way to prove him wrong ... probably to ad nauseum

Don't worry about it, these Padre fans like to think they get the best of every deal they make...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:21 am

nsulham wrote:Come on WR, abuse? Since we're dealing with facts here, the fact is whenever the topic of Dave Roberts comes up, marver proceeds to remind Red Sox fans, ad nauseum, of how your Padres "fleeced" the Sox.

This is the first time I have written 'Dave Roberts' since June 10th. Go check it yourself: click search, type in Dave Roberts, click all terms, then type in davidmarver for author.

Here are all of my posts, prior to this thread, dealing with Dave Roberts.

On June 10th I wrote:How's Jay Payton?

Hahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

On April 13th I wrote:The more and more he hits, the more playing time he's getting. It's funny because on the Padres broadcast, Dave Roberts is doing color today and Nady, Roberts replacement, is going off. Second 4 hit game of the year and it's only the eighth game of the season

The other posts didn't have anything to do with Roberts, but more about fantasy baseball strategy (punting categories) or the word "Dave Roberts" were from a post I was quoting.

I talk about him "ad nauseum"? :-?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby .38 Special » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:18 am

wrveres wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Don't worry about it, these Padre fans like to think they get the best of every deal they make... ;-)

oh yeah ...

any time we can 'one up' one of the sloth organizations, the sun is just a touch brighter over here. :-B

You guys need to settle down. Sox traded Roberts to you because he wanted a full time gig, and they wanted to see him have it. They got a couple of utility guys in return. Yes, one starter is better then two Utility players, but let's not say we got screwed. I seem to remember post similar to these with the Nomar trade......well we won the WS and still ended up getting Clement. If Dave Roberts makes you that giddy and excited about your team's chances, then you have issues.

*Edit

I will forever love Dave Roberts for what he did, and how he played for the Sox. Realisticly he is what he is, a solid centerfielder with speed who plays hard. I wish him all the luck in the world, but I don't in any way, shape, or form, feel "cheated" because we got Payton and Vazquez, both of whom are no longer with the team. Let's wait and see how things roll out over the next month.
Last edited by .38 Special on Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Trot Nixon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:03 am

.38 Special wrote:You guys need to settle down. Sox traded Roberts to you because he wanted a full time gig, and they wanted to see him have it. They got a couple of utility guys in return. Yes, one starter is better then two Utility players, but let's not say we got screwed. I seem to remember post similar to these with the Nomar trade......well we one the WS and still ended up getting Clement. If Dave Roberts makes you that giddy and excited about your team's chances, then you have issues.
Amen, the Red Sox had a couple trades in the work before Payton's outburst on Tuesday. Payton got in it with Francona and as the team was leaving for Baltimore, Payton's stuff was taken off the plane and told to stay in the hotel across the street. This was all according to Theo today on WEEI.

Also the trade for Payton is rumored to be for Chad Bradford of the A's but earlier in the interview when talking about Payton and winning Theo said "Don't say he got what he wanted until you see where he ends up playing." So Payton must have really pissed them off, we'll see where he goes in the next few days or so.

As for Dave Roberts, I would much rather him be on our team than Payton but he was the MAIN reason we won last year. This has been said many times by Sox fans who understand why the deal was made, Dave Roberts was traded out of respect from what he did last year in the playoffs and thats it. There was no room for him here and he wanted to play so Theo traded him to a team where he knew he would be a everyday starter. Roberts did what he was brought here to do and moved on.
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 am

So Jay Payton will be traded for Chad Bradford of the A's.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers