Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about real life free agents???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about real life free agents???

Postby Soxcess11 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:52 pm

is there some sort of rule saying that if a free agent signs a long term deal and then gets traded by that team, he automatically becomes a free agent at the end of the season???

a friend of mine told me this and I told him he was :-° , maybe I'm wrong and just don't know, but could somebody maybe clear this up

take for instance Todd Helton, the talk is that he's almost untradeable because of his contract that another team would have to pick up, if that's the case why not trade for him and then don't resign him in the offseason

any clarification would help, and if I'm right I'm gonna print up the posts, roll them up and smack him over the head with the wad of proof, or then again I might have to smack myself if I'm wrong
Soxcess11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:23 pm

yes it is a rule...best example is javier vazquez..he signed a 4 yr deal w/the yankees and then was traded during that contract he can exercise his right to free agency at the end of this season
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Jugemc » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 pm

i think its the players choice tho. So i guess todd helton is untradeable because if traded, another team would have to keep his contract, and maybe no matter where he goes he would keep the contract probably because of what hes getting paid. I'm really not sure just puttin out a thought.
Jugemc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Jugemc wrote:i think its the players choice tho. So i guess todd helton is untradeable because if traded, another team would have to keep his contract, and maybe no matter where he goes he would keep the contract probably because of what hes getting paid. I'm really not sure just puttin out a thought.
....ayuh
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:08 pm

This is part of the 2 main rules established for veteran players:

1. A player with five years of service time who is traded in the middle of a multi-year contract may demand another trade prior to the start of the season following the one in which he was traded.

2. Any player with at least 10 years of Major League service, the last five of which have been with one Major League Club, may not be traded to another Major League Club without his written consent. This is commonly known as "the five-and-ten rule.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Return to Baseball Leftovers