CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:46 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
wrveres wrote:1. Schurholtz
2. Ryan
3. Towers ;-D

Towers? He traded Jason Bay and Oliver Perez for overpaid Brian Giles. That alone knocks him out of the top 10.

Jason Bay was hurt at the time and Perez has always had control issues. Down the line it'll most likely be a bad trade but Giles helps the team more now than those two would; we need a division title more than anything due to promises made.

To write off Towers because he acquired Giles is not very smart. Look at these other swindlings he's made:

Traded Andy Sheets for Phil Nevin.
Traded Wally Joyner, Reggie Sanders, and Quilvio Veras for Ryan Klesko and Bret Boone.
Traded Andy Ashby for Adam Eaton, Carlton Loewer, and Steve Montgomery.
Traded Derrek Lee for Kevin Brown (Reason we went to the World Series).
Traded Bryce Florie, Marc Newfield, and Ron Villone for Greg Vaughn.
Traded Scott Sanders for Sterling Hitchcock.
Traded Joey Hamilton for Woody Williams and Carlos Almanzar.
Traded Dustin Hermanson for Quilvio Veras.

Those are all pretty favorable trades to the Padres he's made and I'm sure there's more I haven't included; this doesn't include signings he has made which have been great (like Loretta).
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Schuerholz, Jocketty, Ryan, Towers, Beane and Epstein are all pretty darned good and I'd be happy with any of them but for the BEST, it's pretty hard not to respect what Schuerholz has done for so long in Atlanta. He's my choice.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:49 pm

nsulham wrote:Schuerholz, Jocketty, Ryan, Towers, Beane and Epstein are all pretty darned good and I'd be happy with any of them but for the BEST, it's pretty hard not to respect what Schuerholz has done for so long in Atlanta. He's my choice.

Agreed ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:56 pm

How long has Schuerholz been in A-Town? Anyone fill me in? I know he was somewhere before this (or maybe I'm thinking Cox was GM before John) so I'm wondering how long he's been around for this incredible run they've been on.

Regardless, the Braves have been declared dead for the last 3-5 years yet they still keep pumping out pennants.

Unbelievable job those front office guys do down there.
Last edited by nsulham on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:56 pm

scheurholtz is my pick as the #1 GM in baseball.... and it is not the
"southern" homer in me saying that either... it is also not the 13,000 straight division championships either..... but the main thing it is,,, these last 3 or 4 division titles that he has won.... he lost ted turners money during this time, and now has to deal with AOL telling him a exact to the penny limit for payroll... now given it is still higher than most teams,,,but with turner at the helm, he never had to worry about a salary..... if he needed mcgriff or neagle, he got him..... now if he needs someone, he has to work out a crafty payroll trade(like hampton)....... he also always does the deals without killing the farm system, which is still today one of the best in baseball.....just look at the rookies that are helping the braves this year... marte, davies, orr, johnson, and several others..... some of these guys are the future of the braves, where as some of them are just fill in guys until chipper, hudson, and gang get back healthy...... but there is no question in my mind that he is the definite #1 GM in baseball.... and i imagine most everybody else in here would say the same IF he had more than just 1 championship under his belt............
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:02 pm

Excellent points rump. I heard on a TBS telecast earlier that during the Texas series, the Braves had something like 13 rookies (maybe not that much) on their roster. That's amazing.

Another thing to consider: Kelly Johnson started off in like a 1-for-38 slump or something like that. Just terrible. Yet John and Bobby and everyone else stuck with the kid and he's up to the mid-200's now if I remember seeing correctly.

Just a class, class organization that knows how to do everything right it seems...except win the big one ;-)

I kid, I kid.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Re: f

Postby looptid » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:32 pm

joeg24 wrote:Not to be biased, but Terry Ryan should be considered right up there with Beane

The AJP trade and getting Johan for pocket lint alone gets him in the top 5 if not right up near the top

I would bet Sabean wakes up to nightmares of Ryan in a cold sweat. For a one year rental of AJ, the Twins got Nathan, Franscico Liriano, and Boof Bonser. Liriano has passed guys like Baker and Durbin to become the top pitching prospect in the Twins system and is a lefty. Liriano looks like another ace in the making.

Shannon Stewart for Bobby Kielty was another nice move.

Santana, after being stolen from the Astros by the Marlins, was had for Jared Camp (a minor league pitcher that never made the show) and cash.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:16 pm

Schuerholtz was with the Royals in the eighties I think, then he moved to the braves in 1990. I think he is the best, because he has been able to do it for so long, though Ryan, Beane, Towers and Epstein are all good.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby brandnew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:17 pm

wrveres, you have the best sig ever.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)