Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Franklin suspended by MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:09 am

homerunhitter wrote:I don't believe the results from Franklin's test. I think it must be a false-positive or something. In hearing him talk about it, he claims to have been tested 12 times and this is the only time he has tested positive. He says he's been taking the same protein shakes and multivitamins that he has always taken. And those were purchased from a nation-wide nutritional store.

Poor guy. Franklin is a hard working blue-collar type guy that you have to respect. He doesn't have much value in Fantasy, but he is definitely an asset to the M's. I'd like to see him appeal this and expose some flaws in the testing process.

It does give you pause.

Maybe that’s why Fehr hasn't responded to Selig about increasing the suspensions. Maybe he knows the system is flawed, and that Congress and Bud Selig are in such a rush to appease the fans, that they are willing to overlook it.

All I know is peoples careers are being destroyed over this, and it is really sad. There will always be cheating in baseball and there will always be performance enhancing supplements in baseball. Heck just look at the designer stuff, nobody knew about the "clear and the cream" for years, and it could have gone on for another 10 years if it wasn't turned in. And we are kidding ourselves if we think they were the ONLY chemist doing this?
and what about speed? Neither side will even touch that.

Nope, it’s easier to just appease the fans, and throw a few people to the wolves, hoping it will blow over. Hell they sat on Raffy's test for two months. 8-o

Giambi and Sheff could be juiced up and playing in the World Series, and who are we to know. And if the press finds out, you think Bud would overturn a World Series?
Nope ..
The testing is a joke.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:31 am

Just got this out of the Daily News, and I found it interesting ..

The Daily News answers some of your questions about athletes who juice.

If a player doesn't fail a test, is he clean?

Not necessarily. There are many ways to beat a steroid test - players can monitor their own testosterone levels, as many track and field and cycling athletes have done, staying below the 4-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone threshold that determines whether you fail a test.

The standard for doping is to measure how much testosterone (anabolic steroids are artificial testosterone) is in the body compared to epitestosterone. In the average person, both hormones should be present in roughly the same amounts. Standard testing now allows up to four times the level of testosterone, so if you're over that level, your test will come up positive. Dirty athletes who can afford to do it will have their blood checked through private labs to make sure they're under the levels.

Others will take topical creams or oral steroids that leave the body within three or four days.

Does the testing system cover all performance enhancers?

No. There's no way to know how many athletes still take hGH, which is illegal without a prescription and banned from most sports but undetectable under the current testing policy (there is currently a blood test available to screen for hGH but anti-doping advocates are divided on whether it works). Experts say there are certain athletes still taking hGH with mild forms of testosterone that slip below the testing threshold and are getting significant results.

Did Rafael Palmeiro test positive because he took a tainted supplement?

Probably not - he took stanozolol, a hard-core steroid not found in supplements. In the words of one veteran trainer who admits he used to help athletes beat the system: "The only two positives that can occur unknowingly from taking a prohormone contaminated nutritional supplement are testosterone and nandrolone. Androstenedione and androstenediol can cause an elevation in the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio.

19-norandrostenedione and 19-norandrostenediol can cause a nandrolone positive. A stanozolol positive can only be from injection or oral ingestion of the anabolic steroid itself. An oral stanozolol tablet will clear the body in about 14 days. Injectable stanozolol will clear the body in about 28 days. I believe that in the current climate of testing in baseball, he took the oral form because of the faster clearance time."
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:36 pm

wrveres wrote:
homerunhitter wrote:I don't believe the results from Franklin's test. I think it must be a false-positive or something. In hearing him talk about it, he claims to have been tested 12 times and this is the only time he has tested positive. He says he's been taking the same protein shakes and multivitamins that he has always taken. And those were purchased from a nation-wide nutritional store.

Poor guy. Franklin is a hard working blue-collar type guy that you have to respect. He doesn't have much value in Fantasy, but he is definitely an asset to the M's. I'd like to see him appeal this and expose some flaws in the testing process.

It does give you pause.

Maybe that’s why Fehr hasn't responded to Selig about increasing the suspensions. Maybe he knows the system is flawed, and that Congress and Bud Selig are in such a rush to appease the fans, that they are willing to overlook it.

All I know is peoples careers are being destroyed over this, and it is really sad. There will always be cheating in baseball and there will always be performance enhancing supplements in baseball. Heck just look at the designer stuff, nobody knew about the "clear and the cream" for years, and it could have gone on for another 10 years if it wasn't turned in. And we are kidding ourselves if we think they were the ONLY chemist doing this?
and what about speed? Neither side will even touch that.

Nope, it’s easier to just appease the fans, and throw a few people to the wolves, hoping it will blow over. Hell they sat on Raffy's test for two months. 8-o

Giambi and Sheff could be juiced up and playing in the World Series, and who are we to know. And if the press finds out, you think Bud would overturn a World Series?
Nope ..
The testing is a joke.

I bump this .. well because what happens if somedoby is playing in the WS all juiced up? what happens if he is the decided factor? Playoff MVP, that sort of thing?
:-t :-t :-t
Oct. 4 - 5:29 pm et: MLB suspended RHP Carlos Almanzar 10 days, effective at the start of the 2006 season, for violating the policy on performance-enhancing drugs. Almanzar will get to serve the penalty while opening next season on the disabled list.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:50 am

Well, since that team was out of it, what other choice was there?? I'm all for immediate justice but what could they do?? Suspend him from the winter meetings??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:16 am

Lofunzo wrote:Well, since that team was out of it, what other choice was there?? I'm all for immediate justice but what could they do?? Suspend him from the winter meetings??

I have difficulty believing they just found out about this test result. I am sure there will be more on it tomorrow, but its my guess they have known about it for months.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:26 am

wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Well, since that team was out of it, what other choice was there?? I'm all for immediate justice but what could they do?? Suspend him from the winter meetings??

I have difficulty believing they just found out about this test result. I am sure there will be more on it tomorrow, but its my guess they have known about it for months.

If that's the case, then it is terrible. Just like the Raffy incident when Bud didn't want the publicity. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers