Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:39 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Clemens better win the Cy Young. If Carpenter wins it over him, that is a sham.

I agree. I think Carpenter is amazing and I don't want to take anything away from the year he's had but Roger is putting up unbelievable numbers. He shouldn't be screwed because of his lack of run-support costing him some wins.

Tell that to Randy Johnson (the 2004 edition). :-°

I'd vote for Clemens at this point, but I wouldn't complain if Carpenter won it. He's the best starter on the best team, and he really is having a monster year.

Agreed, I wouldn't complain if Carpenter wins it either.

It will be the 2 friends: Carpenter and Halladay as the Cy Young winners. ;-D

Right now, IMO, it's Clemens' to lose.

Or the two former teammates...

Roger Clemens and Mariano Rivera. ;-)

No way a non-perfect closer wins the Cy Young, especially with Halladay's numbers thus far.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:01 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Clemens better win the Cy Young. If Carpenter wins it over him, that is a sham.

I agree. I think Carpenter is amazing and I don't want to take anything away from the year he's had but Roger is putting up unbelievable numbers. He shouldn't be screwed because of his lack of run-support costing him some wins.

I'd vote for Clemens at this point, but I wouldn't complain if Carpenter won it. He's the best starter on the best team, and he really is having a monster year.

Rivera won't be winning the Cy Young anytime soon, that's my gurantee. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:06 am

Well im not sure if i support this decision but On the espn cy young predictor rivera is second in the al and halladay is 4th. The guy who is in first is Buehrle and personally i think hell win it, hes led his team to the best record in baseball.

Carpenter is leading it big time in teh nl predictions.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby ReginaldVelJohnson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:08 am

It's a beautiful thing when you have both Clemens and Carpenter on your team.
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class... especially since I rule.
ReginaldVelJohnson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:17 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:Well im not sure if i support this decision but On the espn cy young predictor rivera is second in the al and halladay is 4th. The guy who is in first is Buehrle and personally i think hell win it, hes led his team to the best record in baseball.

When there are good starters such as Buerhle and Halladay, the chances of voting in a closer become very slim.

Personally, I don't think the White Sox will continue to have the best record in the league, though that may be a bold prediction, I see it to be true. A team's record doesn't have much to do with being awarded the Cy Young anyway (that's the MVP award). Halladay won in '03 and his team was only a few games over .500.
Halladay has been better than in '03, much more dominating, and was on pace for more wins when he went down with an injury.

It's up to the voters, and when it is all said and done, I think that Halladay and Buerhle will end up with around the same amount of wins, but Halladay with a better ERA. It looks like Garland will be the leaders of the wins category for sure, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:22 am

mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:Well im not sure if i support this decision but On the espn cy young predictor rivera is second in the al and halladay is 4th. The guy who is in first is Buehrle and personally i think hell win it, hes led his team to the best record in baseball.

When there are good starters such as Buerhle and Halladay, the chances of voting in a closer become very slim.

Personally, I don't think the White Sox will continue to have the best record in the league, though that may be a bold prediction, I see it to be true. A team's record doesn't have much to do with being awarded the Cy Young anyway (that's the MVP award). Halladay won in '03 and his team was only a few games over .500.
Halladay has been better than in '03, much more dominating, and was on pace for more wins when he went down with an injury.

It's up to the voters, and when it is all said and done, I think that Halladay and Buerhle will end up with around the same amount of wins, but Halladay with a better ERA. It looks like Garland will be the leaders of the wins category for sure, though.

Actually it does. Not as much as MVP, but it still does play a part.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:47 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Actually it does. Not as much as MVP, but it still does play a part.

True, but the pitcher's stats play a part more so.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 am

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Rivera won't be winning the Cy Young anytime soon, that's my gurantee. ;-)

Maybe he won't but he's definately got as good of a chance as anyone else in the American League.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:51 am

WharfRat wrote:

I was going to write the exact same thing. The voters put too much value on wins.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:09 am

Just to put this in historical perspective; in 1985 Dwight Gooden had a 1.529 ERA, In 1994 Greg Maddux had a 1.559 ERA, and in 1968 Luis Tiant had a 1.603 ERA while Bob Gibson had a 1.123 ERA in 1968 to set the modern day record. Those are the lowest ERA's in modern baseball history. Obviously it would be near impossible for Rocket to approach Gibson's # but he probably will fit somewhere between Gooden and Gibson at the end of the year as the lowest ERA since Bob Gibson in 1968. And right now he's almost 2 tenths closer than anyone else has come.

I know lately baseball minds have been starting to devalue ERA slightly but think about that list, and take a look at this one below.

Here's my source (And the 100 best ERA's in all of baseball history)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... ason.shtml
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers