Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:48 pm

I wish the voters wouldn't put so much damn emphasis on W's, W's IMO mean squat(well I know they mean something but you can't base a pitchers ability off a W/L record) although there are better stats ERA tells you a whole lot more about a pitcher than W's. And if your ERA is 1.38 or whatever Clemens is now after tonight and if he keeps it that way it is absurd to give it to somebody else even if there are guys with 20 W's. You see a 20 win guy almost every year, you see a guy with around a mid 1 ERA about every 10-15 years. Its BS if Clemens does not win the Cy Young(unless obviously he starts to suck big time.)
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:52 pm

Red Stripe wrote:I wish the voters wouldn't put so much damn emphasis on W's, W's IMO mean squat(well I know they mean something but you can't base a pitchers ability off a W/L record) although there are better stats ERA tells you a whole lot more about a pitcher than W's. And if your ERA is 1.38 or whatever Clemens is now after tonight and if he keeps it that way it is absurd to give it to somebody else even if there are guys with 20 W's. You see a 20 win guy almost every year, you see a guy with around a mid 1 ERA about every 10-15 years. Its BS if Clemens does not win the Cy Young(unless obviously he starts to suck big time.)

Exactly. Clemens should win, he's pitching the best in his entire career.

That's why Halladay should win. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby KaiserSoze » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:43 pm

wow..... once again he LOWERED his ERA.

1.32 8-o 8-o 8-o
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:49 pm

Thats amazing.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby EnFuego » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:27 am

Time to change the topic title to a lower number... 8-o
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby KaiserSoze » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:29 am

Changed ;-D
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Pokey » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:16 am

I'm absolutely convinced that this man will pitch until he's 65, and win 900 games. 1.32???? That's insane! At this point, he just knows so much about pitching, that he can't be touched until his body breaks down. Which it will eventually.

...right?
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:20 am

Pokey wrote:I'm absolutely convinced that this man will pitch until he's 65, and win 900 games. 1.32???? That's insane! At this point, he just knows so much about pitching, that he can't be touched until his body breaks down. Which it will eventually.

...right?

I wonder how much money he would make if he did that. :-?
I mean he's making 18 million this year, and if he stays around, next year he will probably get more.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:26 am

Pokey wrote:I'm absolutely convinced that this man will pitch until he's 65, and win 900 games. 1.32???? That's insane! At this point, he just knows so much about pitching, that he can't be touched until his body breaks down. Which it will eventually.

...right?

Haha. With all the talk about history, especially career milestones for batters, and his own vanity for numbers and such -- look at his salary for this year for instance :D -- I wonder if he's noticing that he actually has a shot at Grover Alexander and Christy Mathewson at 373 wins. All he needs is another couple good seasons (and possibly less), and he should get there. And while he's at it, he might even get to team up w/ his own son. :D

Well, I sure hope he decides to go for 373 and stick w/ Houston for another couple years -- and this time, signing an extension w/out entering free agency as that's the only way I get to keep him in my keeper league. :D

mweir145 wrote:I wonder how much money he would make if he did that. :-?
I mean he's making 18 million this year, and if he stays around, next year he will probably get more.

Well, he doesn't really need the $$$. Maybe this time, he'll do the opposite and play for 1 buck just for his own ego's sake. :D And BTW, it was not exactly $18M, but something like $18,000,022. :D
Last edited by Sultans of Squat on Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:29 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:

...right?

Haha. With all the talk about history, especially career milestones for batters, and his own vanity for numbers and such -- look at his salary for this year for instance :D -- I wonder if he's noticing that he actually has a shot at Grover Alexander and Christy Mathewson at 373 wins. All he needs is another couple good seasons (and possibly less), and he should get there. And while he's at it, he might even get to team up w/ his own son. :D

Well, I sure hope he decides to go for 373 and stick w/ Houston for another couple years -- and this time, signing an extension w/out entering free agency as that's the only way I get to keep him in my keeper league. :D

Wasn't he set on retiring though? Hopefully, he might not after this great season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers