Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:32 am

mweir145 wrote:Wasn't he set on retiring though? Hopefully, he might not after this great season.

Well sure... for the 2nd time. At this point, who knows what he'll do, but it sure seems like he's more likely to stick around now than before. I think the fact that he's been doing so great since switching leagues helps -- as he wasn't really doing so great w/ the Yanks -- and being able to play at home helps too.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:34 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Wasn't he set on retiring though? Hopefully, he might not after this great season.

Well sure... for the 2nd time. At this point, who knows what he'll do, but it sure seems like he's more likely to stick around now than before.

Yeah, I agree. I'd take 20 million to play even if I was 50. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:40 am

I'm actually rooting for his retirement. I traded him in my contract league. His '05 contract was big, but I could have extended it to '06 for a reasonable fee. I am in a rebuilding year, though, and I didn't want to assume the "retirement" risk. That's why I moved him.

I am going to be pretty sore if he has an awesome 2006 and I end up an SP short of having a contending squad.

:-C

EDIT: Oh yeah, if the season ended right now, Clemens should def win the Cy Young Award.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:54 am

JTWood wrote:I'm actually rooting for his retirement. I traded him in my contract league. His '05 contract was big, but I could have extended it to '06 for a reasonable fee. I am in a rebuilding year, though, and I didn't want to assume the "retirement" risk. That's why I moved him.

Well, I tried to move him too in my keeper league, but nobody wanted to bite even though we don't do salaries. Since the W's don't really matter that much in our league, he's been shouldering much of my SP load this year -- and I really needed it since Big Unit has been so mediocre.

If I fall out of contention before the trade deadline (8/28), I might be able to trade him for a promising rookie w/ another owner in our 4-way dogfight. With the way our format works, Clemens can certainly help one of the other 3 teams go all the way. However, at this point, I don't forsee myself falling out of contention by then -- just got a big night from Clemens, Beckett and Padilla. ;-D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:07 pm

Clemens year would beat Gibsons 68 easy. Pitching on a lower mound, with a much higher scoring league.

Here is how Roger/Carpenter compare in VORP, Win Shares, Run Support.

VORP

Clemens 69.8
Carpenter 61.6

Win Shares

Clemens 19
Carpenter 13

Run Support

Carpenter 5.24 per9
Clemens 3.95 per 9

No one would argur Roger isn't the best sp in the NL this year. But those silly voters like W's, so Carpenter will make the vote close.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers