Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another Reason why Fenway is a Joke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:44 pm

Ask Johnny Damon and Torii Hunter what they think of the outfield dimensions.

If the only thing a stadium has going for it is nostalgia then it's clearly time to move on.

I will say this, at least it doesn't have a train, or a waterfall, or a swimming pool, or tennis courts, or a slide or [insert cheap overindulgent entertainment of choice which doesn't really have anything to do with baseball and if you like that then what are you doing at a baseball game anyway?].
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:04 pm

I've been there. Twice. It's ugly, it smells, the seats aren't pointed towards homeplate, there are obstructed views, the dimensions are retarded, there's no black people, and I hate the team that plays there.

That being said...It'll be a sad day in baseball when the Sox aren't playing at Fenway. It's one of baseball's treasures.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:20 pm

I don't like Yankee stadium. Well not so much the ball park but where it is located. You can't hang around for a beer afterwards or hang around the stadium at all. You pretty much have to stick with the crowd leaving or else run for safety by yourself.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't like Yankee stadium. Well not so much the ball park but where it is located. You can't hang around for a beer afterwards or hang around the stadium at all. You pretty much have to stick with the crowd leaving or else run for safety by yourself.

Leave it to a frightened Canadian to forget his Kevlar. :-D j/k

I've never been to Fenway, so I can't comment on what it's like to watch a game there, but I dig the quirky dimensions. Makes things a little more entertaining, to say the least.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't like Yankee stadium. Well not so much the ball park but where it is located. You can't hang around for a beer afterwards or hang around the stadium at all. You pretty much have to stick with the crowd leaving or else run for safety by yourself.

Mookie, for someone who likes to claim Yankee hijacking and sidetracking debates about either team into Sox/Yanks bickering its a bit odd to see you doing just that.

I thought this was about Fenway :-?

No one seems to have addressed my points about the layout.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby RynMan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:25 pm

I love irregular dimensions in a field. Houston is a great example. The problem I do have is when the dimensions make it dangerous - i.e. the hill in centerfield in Houston.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:53 pm

blankman wrote:I have to agree with acs, to an extent. Some call it character or anything else, but the layout of field is ridiculous and its not even the monster alone that does this.

RF- the only stadium where the RFer plays behind the foul pole. The short wall allows fans to way too easily interfere and even make contact with players on the field. Its just unsafe.

CF- the odd "cutout" triange in straight away center that takes the wall from 383 to 420 in nearly a straight line.

LF- the vertical line on the monster which determines HR or off the wall- a difference of 3 inches to the side determines a HR or not in Left Center. The monster, sure that's unique; I don't have much of a problem with it other than how ridiculously small it makes LF.

This has nothing to do with the history of the stadium or whether players like or any of that other stuff. Other stadiums are ridiculous as well- Minute Maid, but Fenway started this mess and its layout frankly is just silly.

ok. you want feedback on your layout comments?

RF - no biggie. lots of parks where the fans can lean over the foul-line seats and put themselves into the field of play. nothing new or unique. not even worth commenting on.

CF - the triangle is odd, and probably gives a bit of a homefield advantadge to the sox as it would be tough to play if you're not used to it. that said, there are other odd configurations out there... minute maid park has its own triangle in center. yankee stadium used to have monument park as part of the live, fair territory. sbc has an odd cutout in right center. the hallowed ivy on the walls of wrigley add a wrinkle to playing it. so yes, it's odd. but... not unprecedented. and just something you can adjust to.

LF - the monster was a building of necessity to make it fit onto the city block. and once it's built, it has to end somewhere. so 3" make a difference between a hr and not? happens all the time as no field is all the same distances all the way around so a hr shot to right could be a long fly ball in straight-away center.

so yes, the fenway dimensions are odd. but do they detract from the game? and that's really the important question. i don't believe so. and i think that if you took a poll, the overwhelming majority opinion would be that odd dimensions are one of the things that make baseball interesting and each park distinctive. something to cherish, not denigrate.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:03 pm

jzfran wrote:I think that most cafe members (even Yanks fans) would agree that Fenway is an incredible place to watch a game. It has so much history and it has such personality--sold out every single game. Thee isnt a stadium I;d rather go to than Fenway.

If you say so.

Wrigley has charm even if it is the only place in the US you take a leak in a trough.

Fenway?...well there is nothing good to say.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Fantasy Guru » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Ho hum.
Yankee fans, you should be celebrating a win right now, not thinking up thing about the Red Sox to whine about.

Some people make me :-/
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:Ho hum.
Yankee fans, you should be celebrating a win right now, not thinking up thing about the Red Sox to whine about.

Some people make me :-/

Hmmm...this was started either last night or this morning.

You've got no clue what you're talking about.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers