Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another Reason why Fenway is a Joke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Melo255 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:43 am

Rkiivs wrote:Ask Johnny Damon and Torii Hunter what they think of the outfield dimensions.

If the only thing a stadium has going for it is nostalgia then it's clearly time to move on.

Torii Hunter got his cleats caught in the fabric of one of the walls which twisted his leg. That could happen to any player jumping into or colliding with a wall in any stadium in baseball. It's not a quirky Fenway problem especially since it's the first time it has EVER happened.

As for Damon I would guess you don't get to watch all of his games. Damon is like Superfly Jimmy Snuka jumping and diving all over the place. Trust me he would get hurt in any stadium in baeball the way he hurls himself around without any fear at all.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gabenterprises » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 am

So, we're not talking aesthetics and we're talking about Fenway? That's sort of like talking about the Rolling Stones purely in terms of music theory. It's maybe interesting, but missing the whole point of the group's existence.
And the answer: Fenway is a fine place to play baseball. There is no field whose dimensions aren't partly arbitrary. The fences could all be a few inches in or out from where they stand, and that difference could make all the difference in the world. Fenway's dimensions are more unfamiliar, but they certainly are conquerable and not really that strange. So, in music theory terms, Fenway is about the same as everywhere else.
But when it comes to the Rock and Roll, you can't beat Fenway Park.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 am

I'll agree that the dimensions in Fenway look like a modern art masterpiece. But most of the dimensions are simply a result of the parks location.

- The old bad infield was a result of the fact that the land Fenway is built on was previously a city dump. This has been COMPLETELY fixed in this past offseason. They dug up and replaced almost all of the dirt under the field and they added a state of the art drainage system.

- The Green Moster only exists because the plot of land was a rectangle that wasn't wide enough. And the couldn't just leave the left field wall at 310'.

- The "Triangle" was created when they moved the bullpen into right field.

The area around Fenway is so cramped that they just can't fix these irregular dimensions. At least these aren't planned irregularities like Minute Maid Park's practical joke in centerfield. Can somebody explain to me why you would purposely put a sudden hill there?? What's next? Are they going to replace the warning track with a mout?? If they do, I think they should put Kyle Farnsworth and Izzy Alacantra (the guy who dropkicked a catcher before charging the mound) in the mout so they can be the official mout monsters that attack the unfortunate players that fall in. This would definately boost TV ratings.

But anyways, the park has the same dimensions when the home team or away team is at bat. So there is an equal possibility that the dimension could effect either team.
Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:51 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Heh, and the Yanks shouldn't waste seats with all of those plaques out in left center. ;-7

tsk tsk guess it's cuz we have more :-b just kidding

yeah fenway might just cost me my season. stupid tori hunter CALM DOWN . :~( :~(
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby stumpak » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:11 pm

I agree that the contrived dimensions and bells and whistles of some of the post-90s ball parks are more than a little silly.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers