Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dealing With Unpaid Teams: Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dealing With Unpaid Teams: Help!

Postby benjapage » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:08 pm

in our league, every year there are some people that are a little slow to get their entry fee to the commish. this year, though, it's out of control.

even this late in the season, there are still 3 teams that have yet to fork over the necessary cash. how do you guys deal with this?

this is head-to-head, so matters are a little more complicated (i.e. freezing a team fosters a competitive imbalance). any advice is greatly appreciated!

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dealing With Unpaid Teams: Help!

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:53 pm

benjapage wrote:in our league, every year there are some people that are a little slow to get their entry fee to the commish. this year, though, it's out of control.

even this late in the season, there are still 3 teams that have yet to fork over the necessary cash. how do you guys deal with this?

this is head-to-head, so matters are a little more complicated (i.e. freezing a team fosters a competitive imbalance). any advice is greatly appreciated!

b

Do you know these people personally? If so, send each a private messsage asking why they have not paid. Start off nice but if they don't respond, then post a message public showing that those people have not paid yet. If they still don't pay then assess a late fee and give them a lockout date.

The last thing you want to do is to lock out managers who are just lazy to pay but you know will pay. It's tough sometimes but usually most of them end up paying.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:49 pm

you aren't going to like my answers but,,,,,

1) we are months into the season....for them to not have paid this late is unacceptable. Obviously, the owner who hasnt paid has no excuse. In addtion though, Whoever was/is responsible for collecting the money has no excuses either. At THIS point there really isnt a whole lot you can do except appeal to their sense of deceny and tell them they need to pay.

2) Personally i feel that you HAVE to have a "IF you dont PAY by draft day YOU DONT PLAY" policy. Otherwise you run the serious risk of people NOT paying. Once they fall out of contention they are most likely NOT GOING TO BE motivated to pay at all!!!

3)IF you are responsible to collect the money and these people choose NOT to pay then as far as i am concerned(if I was in your league) YOU are responsible for that money....period ....end of story.

This is NOT meant to bash you as i have been in your shoes. I decided to 'be the nice guy and let someone 'pay later'......When that person ultimately did NOT pay EYE forked out the money he owed,,,,paid the winners of the league the amount they were due and let the other owners know of the situation so that this owner would not be allowed to play the following season. It also set a precedent, as in future years if the treasurer was put in that same postion and i demand they pay the missing fee i can easily point to my own example and say 'you failed to collect it you owe it".

Like i said, pretty much your only hope as far as collecting this money is to appeal to their sense of deceny. I doubt it will work, but even if it doesnt , cut your losses and move on with a lesson learned.

Just my opinion,

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby RynMan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:03 pm

Ditto, INK. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:06 pm

2) Personally i feel that you HAVE to have a "IF you dont PAY by draft day YOU DONT PLAY" policy.

the truth
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:12 pm

thanks for the input. i'm actually not the commish, but he asked me what could be done.

i think if you set a date of "no pay, no play" it needs to be well before draft day, or else you're spontaneously faced with the unenviable task of finding someone else to take that team's spot. good luck with that, right?

i'm sure these guys are good for the money, but that's not the point. the point, really, is that it never really should have come to this, and if there were more stringent rules (strictly enforced, of course), we wouldn't be dealing with it at all.

thanks again.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Postby GreenFish » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:19 pm

Draft day is our deadline in my league. If you show up at the draft and haven't paid and didn't bring the cash the league has the right to send you home and declare your team free agents. This hurts BAD in a keeper league and not only is your current year over, you are way behind the eight ball for next year too. So far everyone pays :)

Are any of the teams that haven't paid in contention? Do you have prize money? If so, they are definately not entitled to any. If they do not pay they also should be banned from the league for good and not be allowed to return until they are paid in full plus a penalty.
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:30 am

I have had someone show up on draft day without their money on more than one occasion. Once, it was a good friend of mine and i pulled the money out of my wallet and paid his fee. I got the money back a couple of days later as i expected. Once i told them to either borrow the money from someone at the draft or call his wife and get her to bring it. I dont have a problem if someone owes ME money. I DO have a problem with people owing the LEAGUE money.
Just my opinion.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:53 am

Same as INK for me. If you haven't paid by draft day......NO DRAFT FOR YOU!

:-D

While I did a poor job of trying to make that funny, it really is the policy of all money leagues I've played. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby matmat » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:08 am

i would do it so that the teams that didn't pay get ignored in the final standings when it comes to dishing out the paystubs. Make sure you make it clear that it is now too late to pay. (especially for the teams that are high in the standings).

as the other;s said -- firm deadline next year.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers