Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hermy has as many saves as the Sandman?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:18 pm

my point is that without wins, you don't get saves. and the reason that hermanson matches rivera in saves is that the white sox are doing much better (and the yankees doing a little bit worse) than anyone would've expected. so the explanation for why hermanson and rivera have equivalent saves is less a discussion of their individual talents, but more a reflection of what their respective ballclubs are doing.

if you want to start comparing era, whip, baa, k's, whatever... then you get into a player vs. player comparison. but for this, what you're looking at is a ballclub effect. at least 80% of it, anyways. and the other 20% being the fact that hermanson is the sox closer and has been doing well with it.

that's all i'm saying.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Hermanson couldn't hold Rivera's jock strap.......

I heard it was made out of gold
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Hermy wasn't even the closer for the entire year. Shingo started as the closer. Don't recall exactly when Hermy took over. I do remember it was a few weeks after I grabbed him off the FA list, though. :-D

For my two cents on the effect of a teams wins on the closer, obviously if the team doesn't win a closer can't get saves. But a scrappy team that doesn't get as many wins as a division leader can have at least as many, and maybe more, save opps if the wins that do come are by fewer runs. Many more save opps on a team that wins 75 games by 3 runs or less than a team that wins a 100 by larger margins.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:40 pm

Can we please stop calling him Hermy?

Isn't it bad enough that we play fantasy baseball, do we have to use the fruitiest nicknames that we can think up too?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Can we please stop calling him Hermy?

Isn't it bad enough that we play fantasy baseball, do we have to use the fruitiest nicknames that we can think up too?

Does someone still have that Alex "Kid Wonderful" Rodriguez picture? :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:52 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:For my two cents on the effect of a teams wins on the closer, obviously if the team doesn't win a closer can't get saves. But a scrappy team that doesn't get as many wins as a division leader can have at least as many, and maybe more, save opps if the wins that do come are by fewer runs. Many more save opps on a team that wins 75 games by 3 runs or less than a team that wins a 100 by larger margins.

point taken. but it still, ultimately, breaks down to a team statistic when you're talking absolute numbers. stat's mentioned above, with addition of save efficiency, and whatever else people can think of... those are more indicative of a pitcher's value as an individual. it still comes down to hermanson has alot of saves because the white sox have won alot of games.

at this point in the season, hermanson has only four fewer saves than the entire white sox team in all of last year. 83 wins... not a lot of chances.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:56 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Can we please stop calling him Hermy?

Does someone still have that Alex "Kid Wonderful" Rodriguez picture? :-b

this guy ?

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:09 pm

Arggh the goggles, they do NOTHING! X-I
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero