Return to Baseball Leftovers

This year's #1 Picks (ARod vs. Pujols)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This year's #1 Picks (ARod vs. Pujols)

Postby AT » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:12 am

I know some took Vlad, and some took Beltran or whoever but for the most part it was Pujols or ARod. I just saw in the Hermanson thread that Pujols has 11 SB and noticed that guess what? So does ARod...

I remember that being the only reason people took ARod over Pujols (Aside from personal favorites) so I thought I'd post their stats for comparison's sake. ARod's ability to steal 15-20 more bags than Pujols was the reason people drafted him over Pujols to make up for the near certainty of a lower Avg. Looks like that hasn't been the case.

Pujols

.339 Avg, 99 R, 32 HR, 91 RBI, 11 SB

ARod

.314 Avg, 83 R, 33 HR, 90 RBI, 11 SB
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:16 am

Pujols should always, always be the #1 pick. This year proves it. Hes consistently the #1 performer in baseball.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby BigMusky » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:20 am

so will this season hurt or help AROD's draft position next year.

Is his BA a fluke or trend?
Is his Stole base total a fluke or trend?

are people going to expect that next year he will return to previous form or that he will repeat this year or that he will somehow keep his average but add SB's, etc etc.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -85)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:24 am

Glad a Yankee fan has finally seen the light. :-D Seriously though I would have taken Pujols first no matter what. I don't think many people -- at least not me -- were expecting A-Rod to put up this high of an average and these HR totals, so now that he's apparently bounced back from last years down year, the SB really aren't much of a factor. As for Musky's points, I think both are trends. I don't see him hitting much below .310 for a long time, while at the same time I don't see him stealing more than 20 again either. This is just my opinion, but I think he was stealing so many bases last year to make up for his performance elsewhere. That's just one of my conspiracy theories probably, but something I thought was relavent to the conversation. :-b

FWIW, going into the season I had Pujols and Vlad as my 1 and 1A with A-Rod a pretty distant second. I guess hindsight is always 20/20 huh? :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby AT » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:25 am

I think the 2 of them are doing EXACTLY what they should have been projected to do with the exception of Pujols stealing a few more bases and ARod stealing a few less.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby benjapage » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:27 am

what those numbers show is how similar the players have been, thereby justifying the ambivalence.

but i would venture to guess that arod still ends up with 7-10 more stolen bases than pujols. not that it matters, because i think their values are almost identical.

edit: what edge pujols might have in average, mind you, arod has in his eligibility (in my league, he still has SS as well as 3b)

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:36 am

benjapage wrote:edit: what edge pujols might have in average, mind you, arod has in his eligibility (in my league, he still has SS as well as 3b)

If you're in a league where he's still SS eligible then he is by far the most valuable player. 8-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:39 am

Do you really think that the difference between drafting A-Rod over Pujols, or the other way around will make a difference in you winning in the league? Probably not.

Now the difference in drafting Beltran over Pujols or A-Rod, yeah, that one hurts.

You guys are debating which is better, a beach house in Hawaii or a beach house in the Caribbean. :-S
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby da1chipo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:44 am

slomo007 wrote:You guys are debating which is better, a beach house in Hawaii or a beach house in the Caribbean. :-S

A beach house in Hawaii. ;-D
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -15)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:49 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
benjapage wrote:edit: what edge pujols might have in average, mind you, arod has in his eligibility (in my league, he still has SS as well as 3b)

If you're in a league where he's still SS eligible then he is by far the most valuable player. 8-o

How is that even possible? Did he play any games at SS last year?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers