Return to Baseball Leftovers

This year's #1 Picks (ARod vs. Pujols)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:How is that even possible? Did he play any games at SS last year?

According to baseballreference he appeared in two games at SS om '04.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:53 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I think the 2 of them are doing EXACTLY what they should have been projected to do with the exception of Pujols stealing a few more bases and ARod stealing a few less.

Ditto. I thought that A-Rod would take at least 25 bases this year while Pujols stayed around 10. This is pretty much the category that determines the value that one has over the other between these 2 studs. Pujols had more injury risk coming into the season.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:15 pm

I have taken Pujols twice when I had the first pick in the draft and I never think twice. I am an Angel fan too and I didn't even think about Vlad.

To me Pujols is just the obvious first choice. The guy will hit .330, Arod if he has a good year will hit .310...Pujols will have more HRs, RBIs should be close along with runs. The SBs should go to AROD, but I do think that his total last year was a fluke. I know he stole a lot when he was in Seattle, but those days are long gone.

Pujols to me is more consistent, if that even counts. I know AROD is AROD and its not like he isn't consistent either, but to me his number fluctuate more than Pujols' do.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 pm

well it's understandable that someone would take arod over pujols. pujols is in a deeper position than arod. arod's numbers clearly outshine any 3b in the game while pujol's numbers are similar to lee's and followed closely by texiera and ortiz. both would look wonderful on my team (personal opinion). ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby The Jury » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:48 pm

A couple years ago - it wasn't even tricky.

The 2 main things that have changed are:
1) A-Rod moved from SS to 3B.
2) Pujols has continued his development.

IMO, the biggest change is that A-Rod moved from one of the shallowest positions to a position that continues to grow in talent and 3B is now fairly well stocked with big bats to share around among your fantasy league.

Another things is A-Rod fluctuating SB totals. If he would take 25-30 bags a year, he'd be #1.

Also, Pujols' BA advantage is gone in leagues that don't count BA, which I play in, though he does still have a better OBP and OPS than Rod.

I still don't like taking a first baseman in the first round because that position is just too deep for my liking, so if I had the first pick I'd take A-Rod for sure. Either way, you have a rock to build your team around.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:00 pm

Man this just makes me wish that our keeper league started 2 years earlier when Pujols was still a 3B and I drafted him in the 3rd round and Beltran in the 2nd and Bonds in the 1st.. Man those were the good days...

But next year, either is the right choice.

I like the beach house comparison.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby BigMusky » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:09 pm

why take Pujols first when you can get D Lee so much later? :-D

Seriously though...I dont like the idea of Arod first if you count on his steals. My later picks are always taken to compliment my earlier rounds, so if you count on AROD for steals and dont really draft any other guys that run alot it could hurt you. With Pujols you know exactly what you are getting and he does not let you down.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -85)

Postby The Jury » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:14 pm

BigMusky wrote:why take Pujols first when you can get D Lee so much later? :-D

Seriously though...I dont like the idea of Arod first if you count on his steals. My later picks are always taken to compliment my earlier rounds, so if you count on AROD for steals and dont really draft any other guys that run alot it could hurt you. With Pujols you know exactly what you are getting and he does not let you down.

If you incorporate steals into your sluggers, then you don't have to waste a spot just for a speed guy. A-Rod, Abreu, Soriano, Brian Roberts, Carl Crawford, Marcus Giles, Derek Lee, etc. If you build your team conscientiously, you don't need the Scott Pod/Pierre/Figgins slot in your lineup.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:14 pm

i would like to have a beachhouse in the south side of puerto rico.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers