Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Fantasy SS???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:46 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Laean wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Best fantasy SS: Tejada.

Best fantasy SS value pick: Young

Two completely different things....

simple and to the point. well said.

someone said myoung is the 2nd best fantasy SS, i think jeter would actually be the 2nd best fantrasy SS - he's very similar to young except he steals bases. i'd prefer a 20 20 player with comparable perepheral #s to a 25 10 player of the same position.

But young scores more runs, more RBIs, more HR, and a higher average. He finished ahead of Jeter last year and hes going to finish ahead of him this year too. When are people going to realize the Mike Young is the plain better SS?

you act like young gets MUCH better runs, hrs, rbis, and avg than jeter.

last season, young had only 3 more runs and .021 higher avg than jeter. that's negligible. jeter actually had 1 more homer last year, but that's negligible as well. the only category where young significantly beat jeter was rbis - by 21. the only category where jeter significantly beat young was SBs - by 11. now, which do i value more in a season, extra 21 rbis or 11 SBs? i think it's pretty obvious.

as for this season, i'll admit young is having a better season (though i'd like to point out that jeter is actually beating young in runs), but one better season doesn't prove that he's the undisputed #2 fantasy SS in baseball.

as for your support for your argument that young finished higher than jeter last year in yahoo rankings, i would think it's pretty much agreed by the cafers that most good fantasy sports enthusiasts place very little value in the yahoo rankings. if you want to place your faith in yahoo, then you should also put faith in their o-ranks, in which jeter beats out young.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:24 am

Laean wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
Laean wrote:

simple and to the point. well said.

someone said myoung is the 2nd best fantasy SS, i think jeter would actually be the 2nd best fantrasy SS - he's very similar to young except he steals bases. i'd prefer a 20 20 player with comparable perepheral #s to a 25 10 player of the same position.

But young scores more runs, more RBIs, more HR, and a higher average. He finished ahead of Jeter last year and hes going to finish ahead of him this year too. When are people going to realize the Mike Young is the plain better SS?

you act like young gets MUCH better runs, hrs, rbis, and avg than jeter.

last season, young had only 3 more runs and .021 higher avg than jeter. that's negligible. jeter actually had 1 more homer last year, but that's negligible as well. the only category where young significantly beat jeter was rbis - by 21. the only category where jeter significantly beat young was SBs - by 11. now, which do i value more in a season, extra 21 rbis or 11 SBs? i think it's pretty obvious.

as for this season, i'll admit young is having a better season (though i'd like to point out that jeter is actually beating young in runs), but one better season doesn't prove that he's the undisputed #2 fantasy SS in baseball.

as for your support for your argument that young finished higher than jeter last year in yahoo rankings, i would think it's pretty much agreed by the cafers that most good fantasy sports enthusiasts place very little value in the yahoo rankings. if you want to place your faith in yahoo, then you should also put faith in their o-ranks, in which jeter beats out young.

Stole the words out of my mouth... I realized that in Yahoo's 'actual rankings' that BJ Upton (who has not played in the majors at all) actually is ranked higher than Chris Duffy, who in limited playing time has a BA of nearly .400. While neither is great, a player without an AB should not be ranked higher than one with decent numbers... Like he said, don't trust Yahoo.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Steelers Rule » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:15 am

Phatferd wrote:

100% agree with this one.
;-D
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -22)

Postby Matthias » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:50 am

Laean wrote:last season, young had only 3 more runs and .021 higher avg than jeter. that's negligible.

.021 difference in batting average is not negligible. .002 difference in batting average is negligible.

Laean wrote:now, which do i value more in a season, extra 21 rbis or 11 SBs? i think it's pretty obvious.

depends on your scoring system. hence, not obvious. also, jeter only stole 11 bags the year before and has stolen only 11 so far this year (although young has only stolen 3).

Laean wrote:as for this season, i'll admit young is having a better season (though i'd like to point out that jeter is actually beating young in runs), but one better season doesn't prove that he's the undisputed #2 fantasy SS in baseball.

jeter will start next season at 32 years old and for the past six years, has seen his production vary up and down, but hover with an ops of around .830. young is two years younger and has had his numbers uptick each of the past six years, with an ops of .884 so far this year. if you're looking to next year's draft, you have to say that young is on a better arc.

Laean wrote:as for your support for your argument that young finished higher than jeter last year in yahoo rankings, i would think it's pretty much agreed by the cafers that most good fantasy sports enthusiasts place very little value in the yahoo rankings.

agreed.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:03 pm

Like he said, don't trust Yahoo.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, someone is trusting Yahoo's information :-o
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:14 pm

Steelers Rule wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

100% agree with this one.
;-D

Seems an odd definition of "value pick" to me. According to Yahoo, Young's median draft ranking was 49th, and he's currently the 47th best contributor.

I'd say two guys who went undrafted were the best value picks: Lopez (currently ranked 116th best hitter overall)
Peralta (currently ranked 171st overall)

Almost none of the top SS have played to a level that reached or exceeded their draft level. Julio Lugo (drafted 192, valued at 122 right now) is about the only one.

Just goes to show you that most fantasy players over value SS.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby theclefe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:24 pm

Nomar Garciaparra.
Price = Free
Value = Will be the best SS in September.

;-D
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -87)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:37 pm

The best value SS pick in my league was Felipe Lopez. Yes, he was drafted...round 19.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers