Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson = Untradeable

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson = Untradeable

Postby Irish » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:53 pm

I have been DESPERATELY trying to get Randy off my roster before the playoffs, but people in my league are avoiding him like the plague.

I won't accept crappy value for him and others won't give anything worth something for him. For example, I offered

Randy
Garret Anderson
Morneau

for

Schmidt

(I have GA and Morn on permanent bench, so not a huge deal for me) and he friggin rejected it. Is anybody else trying to trade guys that are just not getting through to anyone and you have no choice but to keep them because they are undroppable? I would think Beltran would be right there. Anyone else having this pain in the ass issue? :-t
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:57 pm

beltran would have a lot more value than rj if it's a keeper league. but yeah it looks bad for rj owners right now. i would say ride him out, you're not gona get the value you want so might as well hope he can somehow pull it together. even if he doesnt it's not like he's TERRIBLE. he'll get a good amount of k's, good run support, and wins.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby Irish » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Honestly, I'm just begging for RJ's back to get better, come back and throw lights out while I trash talk every freaking day about how someone could of had him for a mid level OF.

Will this happen? Uhhhhhh.....

But if it does, I'm going to throw it back in my league's face like there is no tomorrow. I'm already in first, so I don't need to make a big trade, but if Randy comes around it's salt in the wound time. ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:13 pm

Not to hijack, but this sounds like a rerun of the ill-fated 2004 reality series "Who wants to take Mark Mulder off my hands?"

Couldn't give the clown away for a bag of whiffle balls by this time last year, and he was also on Yahoo's 'undroppable' list. Ended up wasting a roster spot as a big fat anchor that dragged my squad down during the pennant race.

Needless to say, I didn't renew him for additional episodes this season.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:24 pm

Irish wrote:Honestly, I'm just begging for RJ's back to get better, come back and throw lights out while I trash talk every freaking day about how someone could of had him for a mid level OF.

Will this happen? Uhhhhhh.....

But if it does, I'm going to throw it back in my league's face like there is no tomorrow. I'm already in first, so I don't need to make a big trade, but if Randy comes around it's salt in the wound time. ;-D

Wait 2 starts, just hope for the best. If he pitches amazing thats when you trade him. Be like o ya randy was just hurt that last game, now hes back and throwin shutouts with 10 k games. This guy is going for cheap. There is one guy in my league who is trying to do the same thing as you and is getting no where. But in all seriousness, when is Randy going to retire? He's got a year left in his contract i believe, then what?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Re: Randy Johnson = Untradeable

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Irish wrote:I won't accept crappy value for him and others won't give anything worth something for him.

that pretty much sums it up. welcome to the world of the fallen stud. your best trade partners are for other slumping studs who you think have a better chance to come back, e.g., helton, if you're a believer.

if it makes you feel any better, there's been academic studies on people's valuations and the effect of ownership/loss. they asked people to look at a collection of coffee mugs, write down how much they'd pay for each, and then randomly assigned the coffee mugs to people. and, suprisingly, once people had been designated and given their mug, they wouldn't trade it away for mugs which they earlier had assigned a higher value to (they had been given a mug they thought was worth $3, but wouldn't trade it for a mug they earlier valued at $5, say). once it became theirs, they placed a premium on it, because they didn't want to lose it. so in any trade, you have that hurdle to overcome.

which is just a long way of saying i hope rj does well for you in your playoffs. because he's probably not going to move anywhere.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:31 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:

But in all seriousness, when is Randy going to retire? He's got a year left in his contract i believe, then what?[/quote]

two more years. he got an extension from the yankees as part of agreeing to the trade. as to what will come of it, who knows? maybe he turns into a stud again next year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:33 pm

Ok don't sell randy short..he could very easily win you the league with some good starts
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:53 pm

acsguitar wrote:Ok don't sell randy short..he could very easily win you the league with some good starts

agreed... his hold value is def higher than his trade value at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Re: Randy Johnson = Untradeable

Postby Ajax » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:05 pm

Irish wrote:I have been DESPERATELY trying to get Randy off my roster before the playoffs, but people in my league are avoiding him like the plague.

I won't accept crappy value for him and others won't give anything worth something for him.

You're problem is that, evidently, everyone in your league has the same opinion of RJ that you have.

You're "DESPARATELY" trying to get rid of RJ, but you don't want to accept "crappy" value for him. No offense, but I think that what you want is for someone else to place that the same value on RJ that you placed on him at the beginning of the season.....and it's just not happening.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers