Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barmes to return?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:10 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:When he hits .254 with OBP under .300, like he did the last full month he played before the injury, you'll change your mind.

Nah, I rode him while he was hot, then Utley got the full-time job and I haven't looked back. I don't really care if he stinks. But he plays at Coors, hits leadoff, has some power, and faces the NL West a lot. He's certainly not a bad option. We shall see, though...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KaiserSoze » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:12 pm

Nice work getting Utley... now HE is the real deal ;-D

btw, how are you a Mariners fan from Phoenix? You originally from the area?
Last edited by KaiserSoze on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:When he hits .254 with OBP under .300, like he did the last full month he played before the injury, you'll change your mind.

No I won't change my mind. He's a good hitting MI hitting at the top of the lineup playing half his games at Coors.

His slump prior to the injury is not indicative of his future struggles. Don't be ridiculous.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby KaiserSoze » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:16 pm

How is it ridiculous? He played TWO full months, then got injured.

Month one: .410/.467/.639/1.106

Month two: .254/.285/.390/.674

If anything is ridiculous, it's believing that the first month of the season is the real Barmes.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:17 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:Nice work getting Utley... now HE is the real deal ;-D

btw, how are you a Mariners fan from Phoenix? You originally from the area?

Yeah Utley is a beast. I can't complain at all about a MI of Utley and Mike Young.

I am from Washington state (a couple hours east of Seattle). Born and raised up there. Moved to Phoenix about a year ago. So I'm still a Mariners fan, through and through.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:25 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:How is it ridiculous? He played TWO full months, then got injured.

If anything is ridiculous, it's believing that the first month of the season is the real Barmes.

Barmes is a rookie. Taking two month sample in his MLB career and saying he is worthless b/c he had one bad month is utterly ridiculous if you ask me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KaiserSoze » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 pm

The fact that he's a rookie further enforces my side of the argument.

He played two months. One great, one horrible. When a player is unproven like Barmes is, and the hot month came at the beginning and then he slowed down..... it makes the most sense to believe he wasn't all that great.

And I take back what I said.... He's not worth a roster spot ON ANY OF MY TEAMS. I guess I can't speak for everyone else. But every league I'm in has better options in free agency.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:35 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:The fact that he's a rookie further enforces my side of the argument.

He played two months. One great, one horrible. When a player is unproven like Barmes is, and the hot month came at the beginning and then he slowed down..... it makes the most sense to believe he wasn't all that great.

And I take back what I said.... He's not worth a roster spot ON ANY OF MY TEAMS. I guess I can't speak for everyone else. But every league I'm in has better options in free agency.

How does it enforce your side of the argument b/c he is a rookie? He was a reasonably high prospect with a starting job and showed that he belongs up here. He hit for power, showed speed and good hitting abilities.

His 05 season's pretty much lost and no one knows how he will return but to say he won't do well b/c he had one bad month is just ignorant.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KaiserSoze » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:40 pm

Look in the mirror. You're saying he will do well because he had ONE good month. The fact that the good month came first, then he turned to crap shows you something. His hot streak had ended, then he had a major injury. And he is unproven.

Once again:

Injury.

And he's a rookie.

And now you're saying his 05 is lost and nobody knows how he wil return? I thought your whole argument is that he will return and be worth a roster spot THIS YEAR. I'm not talking about keeper leagues.

Also, you said he "showed speed". He has played 86 games in his career (over half a season), and has stolen 4 bases, and been caught 5 times. That is not good.

And you call me ignorant? Wow, just wow.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:48 pm

KaiserSoze wrote:Look in the mirror. You're saying he will do well because he had ONE good month. The fact that the good month came first, then he turned to crap shows you something. His hot streak had ended, then he had a major injury. And he is unproven.

Once again:

Injury.

And he's a rookie.

And now you're saying his 05 is lost and nobody knows how he wil return? I thought your whole argument is that he will return and be worth a roster spot THIS YEAR. I'm not talking about keeper leagues.

Also, you said he "showed speed". He has played 86 games in his career (over half a season), and has stolen 4 bases, and been caught 5 times. That is not good.

And you call me ignorant? Wow, just wow.

Obviously you don't follow prospects and you haven't looked at his stats in the minors before jumping to conclusions:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... rmes.shtml

He won't wow you but he is a decent all around hitter who has been improving. Am I still judging him by one good/bad month? I don't think so chief.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers