Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barmes to return?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barmes to return?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:24 pm

acsguitar wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:Any idea when?
Early septemeber is what I've heard so far...He has been taking infield already which is a good sign

This is savagely off topic, but whose the hottie in your sig and avatar, acs? :-b
Barmes may be good for the stretch run, but the fact he went into his injury cold and he'll be recovering still, I wouldn't count on it.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oliver Perez » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:25 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yeah Utley is a beast. I can't complain at all about a MI of Utley and Mike Young.

I've got the same Middle Infield. Are you the guy hacking into my Yahoo account?
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:32 am

Yoda wrote:
KaiserSoze wrote:Look in the mirror. You're saying he will do well because he had ONE good month. The fact that the good month came first, then he turned to crap shows you something. His hot streak had ended, then he had a major injury. And he is unproven.

Once again:

Month one: .410/.467/.639/1.106

Month two: .254/.285/.390/.674

Injury.

And he's a rookie.

And now you're saying his 05 is lost and nobody knows how he wil return? I thought your whole argument is that he will return and be worth a roster spot THIS YEAR. I'm not talking about keeper leagues.

Also, you said he "showed speed". He has played 86 games in his career (over half a season), and has stolen 4 bases, and been caught 5 times. That is not good.

And you call me ignorant? Wow, just wow.

Obviously you don't follow prospects and you haven't looked at his stats in the minors before jumping to conclusions:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... rmes.shtml

He won't wow you but he is a decent all around hitter who has been improving. Am I still judging him by one good/bad month? I don't think so chief.

Yoda's right, Barmes was a good enough prospect that the only backup the Rockies kept for him Relaford, because they expected him to be good. While he will probably never be the best SS in the game or anything, with a decent track record and half his games in Coors I like his chances of being a good player. I will probably only bother with him in my keeper and NL-Only leagues, but that is just because my other ML Universe leagues I have Jeter...if I had problems at Short I would consider him for the stretch run. And I don't think anyone is arguing that Barmes is going to hit over .400 for the rest of his career, just that he will hit a good deal better than .254 for at least a couple of years.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers