Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strange situation.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strange situation.......

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:04 am

Has anyone else ever been in the situation of benching 4 good quality starting pitchers on a sunday because they are so far ahead on the week?

This week Ive had Zito, Carpenter, Clemens, Perez, Patterson and King Felix all turn in good performances, leaving me miles ahead in ERA and WHIP and 4 wins over my opponent. I'm also good for victories in cumulative stats like OUTS and K's.

The only stat's I could possible lose would be Walks and Losses, so Ive taken the bold move of benching 4 starters in the hope that I can snach walks. Its the first time Ive ever had to bench this many guys (Patterson, Penny, Bedard, Davis). My only concern is that he could vulture a couple of wins from his RP and take that from me, but it seems the move is worth the risk.

Anyone else been there?
Last edited by rotterdam_82 on Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349 - English Villains
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:08 am

can't ever remember benching four of them, but yeah it happens. I have had to employ this strategy a couple time this season. I remember a couple of Sundays this season where I sat the entire squad, relievers and all, just to ensure nothing bad would happen to an allready solid week.

Nice job on the week. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:34 am

Probably not as much as 4 guys but thats actually happened to me today. Its just a 5x5 league and Im smoking him in everything but saves yet I have Harden, Lackey, and Burnett starting. It kind of sucks to miss a start from these guys but starting them could only make things worse. So Im just benching too. Nice job on those pitching performances this week too.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:38 am

Red Stripe wrote: Nice job on those pitching performances this week too.

Well, I didn't pitch the games, but thanks anyway :-D

Has anyone been in a similar sitation with batters perhaps? I know I've benched a couple of low AVG power hitters towards the end of the week if I'm going good on the 'cumulative' stats.

I'm interested in your strategies.......
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Well, 3 of them pitched great games and Bedard didn't exactly 'blow up'.

I wouldn't have gained a thing from starting them, It just wierd having 28 K's and 2 wins sat on my bench from guys who I would normaly throw out there. Upside is, I'm up 3 walks with only Shields and Tavarez left in relief (need the holds) ;-D ;-D
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers